Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD Passport Elite / Essential

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm looking at picking up a WD Passport Elite or Essential. Actually, I don't really care which, because every review I've see basically says they are the same.

Either way, I've read conflicting statements regarding the bloatware installed on the external drive. I'm not going to be using their backup software, or anything else for that matter. I just want a completely blank external. Does anyone own one of these things?

Some people say that the software is removable and other say that it's on some hidden partition that you can't delete.

I had my eye on this one.

Thanks!

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 31 December 2009 - 09:24 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You could also go with an external case and put a separately purchased drive in it.

The WD one you want if you cant delete the contents of the partition, you could format the drive and remove the partition.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That's what I was hoping, but it looks like it might not be that easy. It looks like it contains some type of virtual CD partition that I've never dealt with before. Any thoughs on how to reclaim the virtual partion?

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk_Management.jpg
  • My_Computer.jpg

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sounds similar to the U3 system common on a lot of Sandisk flash drives. Generally, the partition should be removable, at worst booting into something like Partition Manager's rescue media to access it. The virtual disk I believe is simply a ploy to maintain the integrity of their "backup" software, you'll just have to run it, uninstall it, then check your partitions and format it. Knowing Western Digital, I would say they shouldn't limit your options too much, but you never know.

Edited by StewBizzle, 24 December 2009 - 07:39 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I finally found it over the weekend and wanted to post it up for anyone else looking to do the same thing. It was buried on their website.

WD SmartWare

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like I just have to update the firmware, run the removal tool and then I should be able to reformat the entire thing through explorer.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 28 December 2009 - 07:39 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Looks like something that might work.

Did you try deleting the partitions through computer management?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
No I didn't actually. I checked them out, but never even thought about trying to delete the Virtual CD partition.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm back with the results. I couldn't delete the VCD partition using the disk management feature. I used the WD SmartWare software and it worked like a champ. Installation was a breeze, but make sure you follow the warnings about removing any and all other external devices, rebooting following each step, etc.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am glad that you got it taken care of.

Thanks for letting us know. It will be helpful for others that may have the same issue.

123runner

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Thanks for letting us know. It will be helpful for others that may have the same issue.

Hopefully it does. :)

I'm a member of a ton of different types of forums and typically users don't post their resolution if they solve a problem themselves. It's ashame, because there is so much that could be learned through others' experiences. I'm an Administrator at one site and I ask all the time that people post the solution that worked for them. It really lightens the workload for the regular members.

Have a great holiday and thanks for your suggestions!

Oh, by the way, is there a "Solved" or "Resolved" button that I'm missing? I know a lot of forums are starting to move that direction but I can't find one around here.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 31 December 2009 - 09:27 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There is, but I believe it can only be done by an admin or someone of higher authority.

It would be great function to have available to us.
That would keep others from posting in a resolved one that is quite old.

Have a good holiday also.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We do not have a Solved or Resolved in any forum other then Malware It has been discussed numerous times and the decision was made not to do it because in hardware and software there is no real way to make sure the issue is resolved.
If you would like to show this topic as being resolved per say then use this.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible