Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen with Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have read a lot of posts pertaining to this problem, but nothing seems to match the problem I have. So here goes:

I have an HP Pavilion dv1000. I put a new hard drive in the laptop (model and part number are correct). I have the operating system CD in the CD drive.

When I power up the computer, I get a screen with the HP logo and the options of changing the boot order (esc), entering setup (F10), or booting from LAN (F12). After this screen appears for about a second, it goes right to a black screen with the blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. From here nothing works.

I have tried changing the boot order to boot from the CD first, but that doesnt work. I ran the HP HD test, and it passed every test. If I put the old hard drive back in the laptop, it loads properly. Any suggestions?

Edited by johnnyboy3115, 24 December 2009 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the OS loaded on the new HD?
If not then you need to change the boot sequence so that the cdrom is first. load the OS on the new hd and then once it's done loading everything should work.

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am unable to load the OS on the new HD. I changed the boot sequence to run the CD drive first, but the CD never runs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using the Recovery cd that came with the system?

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes. I tried the recovery CD with and old HD that I have, and it works. So I know there is nothing wrong with the CDrom. I would just love to restore the OS but have no way of reaching the recovery mode.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When the screen comes up to the options and you click Esc does it give you the option to change the boot order or is it asking what device to boot to?
Have you tried to go into the Bios and change the boot sequence there?
To do this I believe what you want to do is to click the F10 key to enter setup.
Then look for the Advanced area or Boot area.
Change the boot sequence to Cdrom and then to hard drive
F10 to save and exit and then Y to verify
Make sure the Recovery cd is already in the cdrom before clicking [b]Y
The system should reboot and go to the cdrom first then.

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It asks me to change the boot order. I have already done exactly what you suggested, but this doesnt work. It still goes right to the black screen with the blinking cursor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like it is not booting to the cdrom then. Something is not set correctly.
Can you borrow a XP cd of the same type you have installed on your system be that Home or Pro?
Is the new HD the same size as the old one?
what is the original reason for changing the HD out?
Is the old OS system working correctly or is there a issue with it?

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The HD size is an unpgrade. I spoke with HP and they assured me this HD is the OK for my machine. I am changing this HD just to upgrade.

The old HD works when inserted. Its only the new one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok so the issue is now if the bios os ready the new hd correctly. So without using the cdrom enter setup and let me know what the drive it shows as the primary drive shows.

Advertisements

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
how do i determine what the primary drive is?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Primary drive is the main drive where your XP is installed. Under normal circumstances it would be the C drive and be the first drive in the bios.
If you can get to the part in the bios that shows the drive then you should be able to copy the model number and that will tell me what drive you have and if it matches what you got new.

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So a strange result to this problem. I had an old OS restore CD for my Gateway. I tried to load that OS onto my HP, but an error occured. However, after this happened I put the HP OS restore CD back into the drive and it loaded properly. Go figure. I have no idea why it has worked now, but it does. Thank you for all your help. It is really really appreciated!!!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure how it worked as it was from a different manufacturer and the drivers would not have loaded correctly. You might want to check your Device Manager

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

johnnyboy3115

johnnyboy3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think you misunderstood. I did restore with the proper CD from the proper manufacturer. After that, I downloaded all the proper drivers as well. The computer is working like its brand new :)