Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is "0.4" and ".4" suddenly different?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have a spreadsheet where I track the day to day changes in the S&P500 as part of a larger scheme.
It is formatted to 0.0%, so I enter the daily change. it worked just like I wanted for a year.

Until a couple days ago if the market went up .4% I would enter .4 and all would be well. Now it suddenly interprets .4 as 40%! I can get .4% by entering .004, 0.4, or even .4%; just not by .4.

What on earth is going on? Is there anyway to made it do what I want (ie. what it used to do...)
I am beginning to fear early onset dementia.

Okay, it is Excel97 if that matters. It does everything I want (well up to a couple days ago) so why change.

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Try typing in your .4 with the percent sign at the end - i.e. - .4% - see if that works.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yes, .4% works properly, as does 0.4, as I indicated above.

Thing is, .4 used to work properly but doesn't now.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well, I've just entered a variety of numbers onto a spreadsheet, and the only way I can get the cell to display it as .4% is by typing in either .4%, .004

Mathematically speaking .4 is NOT .4% it's 4/10 or 40%

This is what I get:

Unformatted Formatted
0.004 0.40%
0.04 4.00%
0.4 40.00%
4 4.00%
40 40.00%