Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to remove unknown file type extension.

• Please log in to reply

out4knowledge

out4knowledge

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I been having a problem trying to remove this file extension completely off using Registry Editor. At first I notice it when I was using the registry cleaner section from CCleaner. Every time I would try to remove it, in either Registry Editor or CCleaner, it would never delete off my system. I not even sure if it is part of some type of software that depends on it to be there, but I highly doubt it. I listed the path of the file extension below.

Path information from viewing it on Registry Editor:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}

Path information from viewing it on CCleaner:

HKCR\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}

Registry key information when exporting it from Registry Editor:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 10/8/2009 - 9:35 PM

If anyone knows a program that will take it off, maybe while the system is booting up or something to that affect, please let me know. This key is not affecting my computer at all, but I am tried of seeing it when fixing registry keys on CCleaner.

Thanks,

- out4knowledge -

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

This key is not affecting my computer at all, but I am tried of seeing it when fixing registry keys on CCleaner.

Since the key is not affecting anything, I suggest that you leave it alone.
We at Geeks to Go do not recommend registry cleaners because they can, and will, do more harm than good.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I fully agree with 123runner. If, however, you wish to learn more, have a look at this page.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree also. Messing with the registry is a recipe for disaster and if the key is causing no problem then I would follow the old rule.
If it isn't broken then don't fix it

out4knowledge

out4knowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you guys, I will take the advice then. It is not causing no problems at all, so I will leave it alone. I definitely appreciate the info you guys have given me, and I will not attempt to remove this key, since it is not a serious issue to worry about.

Thanks for the help,

- out4knowledge -

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I believe, that key belongs to Avira, if you have/had it installed...

out4knowledge

out4knowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yea, that can where it probably came from. I have Avira installed, so it is a very good chance it can be, and you would know better than me. Good to know at least that the key has a respectful home with Avira. And I should be happy that it can not be deleted, because it could have affected Avira in a certain way, and I would never have troubleshoot the issue if it was that key. Thanks a lot for the useful info.

Thanks,

- out4knowledge -

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
And to sum it up....
We do not mess in the registry.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Cool :)

out4knowledge

out4knowledge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I also just notice when using IObit Advanced SystemCare Free to fix registry errors, it will also find the same key above. If you have Avira AntiVir installed, then ignored this key if it is found. The only reason why I am even using registry cleaners is to delete old software keys that I have uninstalled. I did not want it to slow down my PC with old unused keys that would just pile up after some time. I have been more careful now when deleting old keys, and haven't had no issues with them since the key I posted above. But do not be like me, I take chances since I have the original XP disc on hand, and I know how to reinstall everything back to normal. Take the advice given from the members on here, like 123Runner, The Skeptic, rshaffer61, and Broni. They know a whole lot more than me, and it would be unwise not to listen to them, when trying to help out.

Thanks for the help guys,

- out4knowledge -