Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

9800gtx+ Running Cool, and Failing

• Please log in to reply

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
So this issue has been driving me nuts for about the last month or so. All these problems seem to stem from gaming only. As soon as I jump into WoW, or some other graphically intensive, full-screen application, my Evga 9800gtx has a fit.

Fit =

on-screen glitches: full stop on screen for up to 2 seconds, then recovery
blank screen: results in a restart of the display adapter after several of the above glitches
on screen "confetti": don't know how else to describe this one, every now and again, after one of the blank screens, several hundred little multi-colored dots appear on the screen, like static, but everything is still playable.

Thus far, I have tried underclocking the shader clock, memory clock, and anything else I can think of just in case it is unstable even though the card rarely gets above 60C, and 50% fan speed. I have tried several different series of drivers, including all the way back to May 2009, which is almost as far back as nVidia has archived drivers for this series. I have moved from Windows 7 x64 to x32, just in case it's a poor driver issue.

If anyone has any advice, or some other options to try, I am all ears, cause this is seriously making gameplay annoying :'(

Current System:

ASUS M4A78T-E SLI mobo
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
Western Digital 200Gb IDE HDD (yeah, I know, I just lost my sata hdd)
Corsair 750w single 12V rail PSU
EVGA 9800gtx+:
- core clock 740Mhz
- shader clock 1800Mhz
- memory clock 1100Mhz

I have already RMA'd this card once, for a faulty one that constantly overheated. If I have to request another, this is seriously going to rattle my faith in EVGA. Thank you in advance for any advice, this site has never let me down.

Nothing? So far, I am really at a loss here, starting to look like another RMA :)

Edited by StewBizzle, 25 December 2009 - 12:54 PM.

Advertisements

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
bump