Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop not connecting to WIFI

• Please log in to reply

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My wireless internet fails to search for a wireless network or any wireless connection for that matter(wired connection is working). Prior to installing windows 7, my computer was running fine(but i had disabled the wireless for installation). Later, i went on to update the bios recommended by Toshiba's software. Then i tried reactivating the Wifi, and i was not able to connect to anything. So I went to search for a driver for my Toshiba L500 -01D ( PSLJ0C- 01D008) and may have installed the wrong one. I tried system restore, but it did not resolve anything. What to do?

Please Help!

p.s. Installed Windows 7 with upgrade option
p.s.s. Windows 7 64x

Also my "FN" key does not show the toolbar anymore, but i am still able to adjust brightness(fn+f6/f7), switch monitor(f5). :$

The picture attached may give you an idea of the problem..

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You can try uninstalling the Wireless Card. Right click on the device in the Device Manager and select "uninstall". Reboot the computer and let Windows detect and install the card again. If that doesn't work try running Windows update and see if it can find a driver for the card.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey. Wasnt home for the weekend. But i did try your method, and it did install the device correctly. But instead, another problem was highlighted for "network controller" (or something similar to that name). As before, i uninstalled the newly troubled device and did the same again, but left me with the image attached below. Now i have 2 realtek devices as before that leave me with the same issue. what do to now?

i appreciate your help! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by noob4lyfe, 28 December 2009 - 01:11 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try reinstalling your chipset drivers

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
iv never done this before. searched google, but it provides limited help. I booted up cpuz and under "mainboard" my chipset is GL-40. Could you provide a link, or slightly break down the following process. Much Appreciated!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to your computer manufactures website...support...use your model number or id number whichever they use and download the drivers they say are for your system...they also give you instructions on how to install the drivers...

Edited by happyrock, 05 January 2010 - 05:08 PM.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I followed your instructions. Installed the chipset driver along with others w/reboot. yet error still continues, a yellow yield sign beside "realtek RTL8192E wireless LAN802.11n pci-e NIC #2".But the realtek device(family pci-e ethernet nic ndis 6.20) above is fine; in the same category. Any suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to get the Realtek RTL8192E Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC driver

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I had posted that the laptop was sent into warrenty.. but somehow it got deleted(rather another thread/topic. Anyways, i just received an update from toshiba and the motherboard needed to be replaced. They also said the keyboard was sticking, and want me to pay $80 for them to fix it! Before giving them the go ahead, could this be done at home? It looks like a simple task, there was a plastic strip above the keyboard with couple of skrews that held the keyboard together. And as for the part, i did a little searching(2min tops) http://www.getpartso...p-keyboard.html. Never bought anything online, is this site safe? also is the task doable?

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Wow. I also found this helpful website

http://www.irisvista...therboard-1.htm

This is exactally the same as my laptop. An identical strip to be removed in the illistration, but i am debating over step 6. Breaking the clip would send me to square 1. But it wouldent require force, so easy does it i suppose?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
warranty work means you don't have to pay anything...why do you have to pay...

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
the technicial claims it was "physical damage". At first i laughed, b/c he was refering to the keyboard(made my day). Some arguments later, he said there was some sort of spillage that caused the keys to jam up. The conversation dident swing my way much after he stated "open box" units DO NOT cover keyboard in their warrenty. I gave up, too much hastle dealing with utter c***. Btw Toshiba outsources their warrenty repairs, but that still dosent stop me from a candid letter to head dept. Thinking of taking the safer route out. cough up $80(plus tax)on a job that is otherwise roughly 35. I dont see logic

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thinking of taking the safer route out. cough up $80(plus tax)on a job that is otherwise roughly 35. I dont see logic

probably be the best route to take...that way if there is any other damage they are on the hook to fix it at no addition charge

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sent in my confirmation. Now just waiting progress. Also they charge for any driver upgrade, so the ORIGINAL problem may still be present

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Also they charge for any driver upgrade,

they may charge for a driver upgrade but they will have to install a driver that will function...