Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VGA On Laptop Isn't Working

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
This is a brand new laptop and I am trying to hook it up to my TV via a VGA to AV cables and then a AV 6 foot extension cable. The thing that I read said I could just hook it all up, change to the AV1 on my tv, but it doesn't work. However, when I unplug it all from my laptop it does make a sound on the TV like when you remove any other cables. I got the VGA part off of ebay, but the AV cables I had brand new in the package around the house. I just want to know what is wrong so I can fix it.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You'll also need to tell the laptop to output over the VGA connection. It's not auto-sensing. You didn't specify the brand and model, but we can guess. :)

Typically there is a Fn key on the laptop that's a different color than the other keys. For example, on a Dell, it's typically purple. If you look around on the keyboard, you'll see other keys with a purple symbol on them. For example, on my Dell laptop at work, the F8 key has "CRT/LCD" written in purple below the F8.

You'll need to locate the appropriate key on your keyboard, hold the Fn key and toggle through the options. Normally, the first time you press the button, the laptop will display the picture on the external monitor only. If you press it again, you'll get a picture on both screens. Pressing it one more time, returns you to just the LCD screen.

If you give us the brand and model of the laptop, we should be able to provide more specific instructions.

Also, what "AV" cables are you referring to in your post?

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The AV Cables are like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...0QQcmdZViewItem

This is also my laptop:
http://www.bestbuy.c...p;skuId=9555992

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Also, I tried to hook it up then the Fn/F8 commands and it only popped up saying LCD, then my LCD would turn off and turn back on. There was no other setting if I pushed it multiple times.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you fix your link for the laptop, it doesn't seem to be working?

I'm a little lost on the cabling you are using. VGA to the laptop and composite to the TV, but what's in the middle? Are you using something like this?

Posted Image

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
It is this exact one:
Posted Image

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you give me the model number of your laptop? Those adapters require a video card that supports S-Video or Composite functionality through the VGA port. Typically, it's a TV out setting in the display adapter properties. If not, you need to use an external converter to process the signal since they are totally different.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 29 December 2009 - 11:22 AM.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
My laptop:
Asus K60IJ-RBLX05
http://reviews.cnet....7-33776104.html

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It's tough to find accurate information about your graphics card, but it looks like it might work, which is the answer I'm sure you're looking for. :)

Right Click on a blank section of the desktop and choose Graphics Properties. Once there, look for the option to choose a Digital Television as the secondary monitor.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
It will only let me do one operating mode, there isn't a section option:
It just says Single Display, Notebook.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Do you have the other display connected? According to mine at work, it has to be connected for the multiple monitor selection screen to be visible.

Posted Image

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
It is connected, but still get this even with a restart:
http://chrisreaper.com/SCREEN.png

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Click the down carrot next to Single Display. Does that give you the option to choose multiple displays?

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Nopeee

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
The only thing I can come up with is that your video card will not do the composite output from the VGA port. I've been looking around for concrete information on your video card and just can't find reliable information on the actual outputs.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. :)