Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem changing XP from a domain to local user

• Please log in to reply

jelliott3

jelliott3

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Today (Christmas Day), I experienced a bout of “cockpit error”, and would like to ask if someone can help me unravel my mess. I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad running XP Professional. The logon is password protected.

This was previously a work computer on a work domain, and I intend to change it to a local machine that I will then put on my home network. In “My Computer/System Properties/Computer Name”, I initiated the Network ID Wizard to change the system to a local user, and was then asked to restart the computer. When I went to log on again, the system would not recognize my username and password, which I assume is now invalid as it was tied to the domain name I changed.

I then booted off my Windows XP installation CD to see if I could recover. After loading setup for a couple of minutes, I received an extended message saying Windows would not start to prevent damage to my system, and recommending several steps to “test” my system, including replacing my disc controller and hard drive. This seems a bit excessive.

Obviously, I scrambled something when I blundered into modifying the domain registration, and now cannot get beyond the login screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Julian

Advertisements

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Would that be a BSoD?

jelliott3

jelliott3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, I get a long message that gives "helpful" suggestions on what to do. Also suggests that I may have a virus. It is very non-specific. It must be the result of my change of domain in some way.