Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Issues - DNS

• Please log in to reply

Antony_L

Antony_L

• Pip
  • 2 posts
System info :
OS - Windows XP pro
Router - Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz 54mbps broadband router
ISP - Bell Sympatico
Modem - Speedstream 5200

Alright, so I'll start off by saying I have very little understanding of how the whole router/modem internet business works, so sorry if I say something stupid.

I've had this router for over a year now with little problems, but recently I've been losing my internet connection more and more often. My computer is wired directly to the router, and my xbox is using a wireless connection to the same router. I usually lose internet on both at the same time.

When I try to sign into MSN, it says that the "DNS" is the problem, and it's unable to resolve an IP. When I go to my network connections in the control panel, it says the connection is still running, so I have to disconnect it, then reconnect it. Then it will start working again. I've also already tried power cycling the router and modem, and I clicked the repair button on the connection.

Once again, sorry if I'm missing any information... Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Antony_L, 25 December 2009 - 11:55 PM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The issue may not actually be related to DNS. Disconnect the PC, router, and modem from AC power. Connect the PC directly to the SS 5200 with ethernet, then power up the modem. When the appropriate lights are on, power up the PC. Enable the native Windows firewall as well. Try surfing and see if the issue persists or if it has disappeared.

Antony_L

Antony_L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I've tried that. It fixes the problem when I connect directly to the modem, but i kinda need the router for the Xbox, and for my brother's laptop

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Then the issue is obviously with the router. The default is to use the DNS servers of your ISP, which should work well enough. Login to the router and check the DNS server settings. These you can get from your ISP.

If this fails, you can always try a hard reset, which sets every setting back to default. If you need a user name and password to connect to your ISP they probably use PPPoE. If no username/password is required, it's probably the DHCP setting you need. Wireless encryption, WPA2, will need to be setup again. You can generate 63 character keys with the link immediately below.
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Alternate DNS servers, if you need them: 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4, 4.2.2.5, 4.2.2.6