Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New hard drive

• Please log in to reply

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My master hdd will not load any more if I plug it into the mobo directly. If I even try to load it as a 2nd drive my pc wont start and I am forced to reset my mobo by removing the battery. I went and bought an enclosure so that can make my internal hdd become an external one. I was able to do this successfully and I can browse my files.

I need to get a cd key off my old master drive but I go through the files and can't find the key. I open the icon for regedit for my old hdd and it just routes me to my current registry. How can I view the contents of my old registry. I saw something about loading a hive but what do I need to load when doing this? I have tried but I am not really sure how to go about doing this.

A side note...my new master drive is running xp pro and my old drive is running xp home

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all programs store keys in your registry, and even some encrypt it in such a way that you can't read it anyway. Different places for different programs.
Ideally all the CD keys you need should be on the back of the box the CD came in with originally so you shouldn't need access to the registry on the other drive.

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well of course I wish I could have the CDs with the keys on it but as time passes stuff seems to get misplaced

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Okay so if you don't have the CDs for the programs anyway the keys are pointless on their own as the programs won't work anyway. You need to reinstall them from the original disks.

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I misstated that, I have the CDs but not the keys. Is there a way to transfer the file to my master drive and trick it to think it is installed.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I misstated that, I have the CDs but not the keys. Is there a way to transfer the file to my master drive and trick it to think it is installed.

No, unfortunately.
Many years ago when it was all field around here, you could just copy a bunch of files to a drive and run them and it would be as happy as Larry.
These days, with the advent of the registry, you cannot do that.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Depending on the program, there are some tools that will find the keys for your programs by searching your computer. I like to use SIW. You'll probably want to go with the standalone executable.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are the cd's original genuine program cd's or burned copies?