Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Name Registration

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello, I've been thinking how does this work in Windows 7. In XP(never using Vista), microsoft is actually registered your name with a genuine serial number, for example when right clicking my computer properties: "Registered to John Smith".
So my question is, how does this really work in Windows 7? When I click properties, it showed no name but system, computer name, product key.....

I bought Windows 7 cheap from Microsoft Student offer. Is this only limited for one copy? Or can I buy more than one copy?

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I am gonna guess no

Purchase Limitations: Eligible students may purchase no more than one license of Microsoft® Windows 7 per valid e-mail address or billing address.

But I know people who bought each version (4 total) so In theory you could. I get 4 total is you Have the different bit versions (2) 32bit & 64bit each their own license technically different as a 32bit product key won't work on a 64bit install and vice versa, then you have Home premium and professional. And the same logic applies as before.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I am gonna guess no

Purchase Limitations: Eligible students may purchase no more than one license of Microsoft® Windows 7 per valid e-mail address or billing address.

But I know people who bought each version (4 total) so In theory you could. I get 4 total is you Have the different bit versions (2) 32bit & 64bit each their own license technically different as a 32bit product key won't work on a 64bit install and vice versa, then you have Home premium and professional. And the same logic applies as before.

Ahh...I see....that's a bit disappointing.
Thank you for clarifying this =)