Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista won't boot, stops at chkdsk

• Please log in to reply

Jamie818

Jamie818

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell laptop that was running fine until a few days ago. The computer froze out of sleep mode so I shut it off and restarted it. Now it won't boot in any mode. The initial bios screen that says Dell on it starts. I can go into boot mode with F12. When I do this, window loads the files off the vista disc and then starts to load with the microsoft green bar load screen. Then it loads a black screen and 20-30 mins later loads the mouse arrow. That's all that loads.
When I try to enter safe mode via F8 it begins loading the files and stops at windows/system32/drivers/chkdsk. Freezes, then reboots after the blue screen flashes. This happens when you select to start windows normally or with last know settings.
If you let the bios load without hitting any F-keys, it immediatly goes to the menu to start in recovery mode or normally stating window files are either missing, corrupted, or configured wrong. When I could start in recovery mode (as now it won't let me do that anymore) it used to say that there was an error with a drive and it couldn't be automatically fixed through recovery. Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There's info on the net stating that Seagate SeaTools can detect & test Toshiba disk drives. Might pay you to give that a try.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I bet you 5 bucks, it won't work :)