Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My turn for a dumb noob question

• Please log in to reply

newdood

newdood

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Apologies as required if I'm asking an OLD question - I tried searching for any related topics without success.

I have an old notebook running Windows 98 that I'd like to give to my son. He's 7, so I can't really justify buying anything newer right now.

This machine has a USB port, but the only internet connection is a dial-up modem. This seems about right, 'cause I don't THINK he's ready (and I KNOW I'm not!!) for him to have full internet access.

I'm trying to figure out if/how I can use the USB port to transfer some of my old files from the laptop hard drive to my desktop and to put some of his favorite games on the laptop.

Do I need to buy/install any special hardware and/or drivers to use the USB port to connect the two machines or can I just cable 'em together and feel my way around?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You need additional software to transfer/copy files direct from one PC to another, and you may have a problem getting the software to work if one of the PCs is running the old Windows 98 first edition.
One such software is called "Laplink" http://www.laplink.com/

Read the operating system requirements to be sure it supports Windows 98 before buying it!

If it's Windows 98 Second Edition, however, you can instead buy a USB thumb-drive. Windows 98SE, XP & Vista will recognise it without any additional drivers being required 'cos the driver is built in to those versions of Windows. You can then copy the files to the usb thumb drive on the donor PC, then plug the usb thumb drive into your desktop pc to copy them. When you plug in a USB thumb drive it's automatically given a drive letter so you just copy/transfer stuff as you would with a regular hard drive. That method won't work with Windows 98 first edition though 'cos it doesn't have full, built-in usb support, unless the thumb drive manufacturer supplies a Windows 98 driver with the product or on it's website.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 27 December 2009 - 09:48 AM.

newdood

newdood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your help - I'll see what I can do with it.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi newdood!
Try this driver http://www.brotherso...tick-83341.html ,i've tried it in the past and it worked for me

newdood

newdood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, found the description text. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this will help me much.

Stick is a Windows application (Windows XP/Vista only)

Do you (anyone?) know of any driver that'll allow my Windows 98 (NOT SE!) laptop recognize a thumb drive?

Edited by newdood, 27 December 2009 - 04:09 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
They are usually flash drive/ manufacturer specific.
What is the make and model of the flash drive?
Maybe I can find one on the internet.

123runner

newdood

newdood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know details on the flash drive that didn't work. It was a while ago and I've MOVED since then so it (along with A LOT of other things!!) has gone into hiding. I may NEVER see it again!

On the other hand, if I can solve my issue just by getting a new flash drive with an appropriate driver, I figure I'm gettin' off pretty EASY!!

I've done a little more research on the topic, so I've figured out that I definitely have Win98 FIRST edition on the laptop. Although I understand that means that I may STILL be out of luck, I'm HOPING to hear otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you still need help with this ?
It is easy to do.
Cheers
Peterm

Nyy8

Nyy8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
May sound odd, But hook the win98 laptop to the internet and log into your email upload all your music/pic to the email then send it to yours.

DaveInPhx

DaveInPhx

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Flip the laptop over and remove the hard disk from it. Got to http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000QECWPG or any similar site and get hold of a hard disk adapter which will let you plug in the laptop hard disk into your desktop machine as a slave IDE drive. You can now copy in/out any files you want to, then put the hard disk back in the laptop and all your dorys are hunky (^.^)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Right click on My Computer and select Properties
On the System Properties page that opens up click on the General tab, if it is not already on that page.
Under the System heading, look for the version number
Version 4.10.1998 is the original version of Windows 98 (98FE)
Version 4.10.2222 is Windows 98 Second Edition (98SE)

Which Version do you have?

Cheers
Peterm

newdood

newdood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My system has the [FE] (4/10/98) version.

I don't know how much of an obstacle it'll present, but it may be helpful to know that, on the machine in question, the only disk drive is a CD and there is no modem for internet access.

Thanks (again) for your help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

This machine has a USB port, but the only internet connection is a dial-up modem

So If it has dialup we can use that.
The next step is to go to this site and click on the Download for Windows 98 Service Pack (it will work on a dial up modem)
Save the file. Run (open) the file and run it.
Reboot and Right click on My Computer and select Properties
On the System Properties page that opens up click on the General tab, if it is not already on that page.
Under the System heading, look for the version number
Has it changed from Version 4.10.1998 is the original version of Windows 98 (98FE)
To Version 4.10.2222 is Windows 98 Second Edition (98SE)

Cheers
Peterm

newdood

newdood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Don't know if it's just my inner noob talkin', but should I be able to find a link in that last post somewhere?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Click on me :)