Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Putting files in date order?

• Please log in to reply

G00k

G00k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Happy Holidays, everybody!

I've got a 90th birthday picture project that I'm assembling and am getting pictures from several sources. Sometimes I'll get two or three sets of image files, all of which are labeled "img_001.jpg, img002.jpg, img003.jpg", etc. These come from several past years. When they're dumped from a thumb drive to my working folder, and then displayed, they get all intermixed. (I use irfanview to view the collection, to assure they're sharp focused, etc.)

I sorted the folder by date, went to the first file and launched irfanview. I get the selected file. If I click the "next arrow", I might get the next physical file, not the next-by-date. The program has a slideshow function that will sort it for you and display by date.

What I really want is to get the files into the date order physically on the disk, so that when copied onto a digital picture frame, for example, it will play sequentially by date if possible. I don't know that they have a lot of intelligence, to sort the pix by itself.

I tried sorting by date and the copying to a different folder on a different disk, but it always changes when I access it afterward. With 400+ pictures, I don't want to do them one-by-one.

Any freeware out there that'll do it for me?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows should be able to do that without any additional software.

1. Open a folder of pictures

2. Change the view to "Details"

3. If there's a column called "Date taken", click "Date taken" once. Each click changes the date order.

You can do that for any files, not just pictures, except the column may be labelled "Date created"
if the files are not pictures.

You may find that irfanview plays a slide show in whatever date order you've set in the Windows pictures folder.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 29 December 2009 - 05:16 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Once you are in the details screen, you need to go to the top and under view choose details.
Scrolw through the list and you will find date taken.

G00k

G00k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, Gang!

On another forum, I posited my question and got an answer that appears to work very well; that being that irfanview has a batch rename and conversion routine, that will sort any way you want, and then rename and copy to a target directory in that order. It works very well. The only problem is that if you have ever changed a picture and saved the change, the date in the directory will be the date last changed - which may still throw a picture out of the original date sequence. This is good enough for my purposes. Leaving the originals undisturbed, I can get the mavericks into place without much hoohaw.

I appreciate your input.

Happy New Year!\

G00k

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I use Irfranview for renaming my pictures, but I was not sure exactly what you needed.

Thanks for replying.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible