Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hey everyone, I've decided it's time for me to upgrade the amount of RAM my current system has as it's just not enough for what I need my machine to do.

I currently have Vista Ultimate 32bit installed and will be purchasing Windows 7 Pro 64bit so I am only limited by the amount of RAM my motherboard can support rather than my OS.

Here's my current specs:

-Gigabyte P35-DS3L Rev.2
-E8400 @ 3.6ghz
-2GB Corsair XMS2@800mhz
-EVGA 8800GT 512mb
-CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W PSU

My motherboard can support up to 8GB of DDR2 @ 1066mhz RAM so I was thinking about removing my dual channel kit that's currently in there and replacing it with the following:

http://www.newegg.co...7-290-_-Product

It's been awhile since I've research any hardware so my brain is a little fuzzy when it comes to compatibility for RAM and the mainboard. Any info and suggestions is appreciated :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

All the memory manufacturers website have a memory finder of some sort where you can look for your mobo to find compatable memory. Your corsair is what I have in one machine. CorsairCorsair
If you have 2 sticks of corsiar and want to stay with it, you will only be able to instal TWIN2X4096-6400C5 DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C5) 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 1.8v giving 6GB (the C6 is also available)
Other options are, Dump your existing and get 8GB corsair or any good brand.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Now that I'm thinking about it I might go with the 4gigs of the TWIN2 kit. Chances are I won't really need to utilize 8gigs of RAM and when comparing the prices I think it'd probably be the better choice for me.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Some memory runs at over 2,0v, so check in the bios after instaltion as the default setting may be 1.8v

Good tweaking.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I'm thinking I'll go with two sets of the twin Corsair kit so I have the 8gigs of RAM but all the same sticks in the DIMM slots.

However, I was wondering if my motherboard would actually be able to use all 8gigs of the physical RAM as from my understanding, the OS also has to factor in the memory from my graphics card and I believe the bios sets a certain amount aside for itself as well.

So if I went with 8gigs would I be able to use all 8 or would it be around 6.5-7 because other hardware/software is using the available capacity my motherboard can support?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
My anser is only guesework. Can somewone else help?

If your system sets aside a fixed amount of memory, it would be the same if you had 2gb or 8gb, your mobo should be able to use what ever is left over?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
32 bit OS will only utilize 3.5 gigs of memory.
64 bit OS can utilize a lot more.

Memory

* DDR2 1066/800/667
* Dual channel architecture support up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots

Memory configuration allowed on your motherboard.