Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ad.yieldmanager.com popups [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

applestew

applestew

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I seem to be getting around two or three popups to websites while im not using the internet usually playing games world of warcraft mostly i know when they popup because there will be 3-5 seconds of choppy laggyness so i go to my desktop and there they are on internet explorer noless(i use Firefox). it goes along something of the lines of ad.yieldmanager.com, and doing some research on it ive found out its some kind of spyware tracking cookie. i have tried using smitfraudfix.exe like one of the sites had suggested but it says C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\Smitfraudfix.exe is not a valid Win32 application, i have tryed other executebles and it says the same thing so i am thinking that i may have some kind of worm preventing me from using executebles. i have run spybot found nothing, ran bitdefender found nothing i uninstalled bitdefender to see that may have been blocking something, nothing changed so i am not sure what to do any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Hi applestew,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! My name is SpySentinel and I will be helping you fix your malware problem.

If for any reason you do not understand any of the instructions, or are just unsure then please post back with your question, and we will go through it together :)

Please read the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and then post the

• OTL
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Gmer Anti-Rootkit
Logs here in a reply.

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I would like to use those programs on the malware and spyware cleaning guide but like i said i cant run any executables. i do have hijackthis ver 2.0.3 beta on my computer and am able to run it and produce a log but it seems i need ver 2.0.2 to post it on these forums :)

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Please download ComboFix from
Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**
  • If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Tools->Options->Main tab
    • Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".
  • During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.
  • Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" for further review.
**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I downloaded the file just as you said, but it says C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\Combo-fix.exe is not a valid Win32 application. i noticed that even after i downloaded the file renamed "combo-fix", it still downloaded as combo-fix.exe

Also when i was in the process of downloading "combo-fix", when i got to this screen:
Posted Image
The "save as type" was set to binary file by default not application and the only other choice was all files there was no application, i do not know if that means anything i just want to give you as much information as i can on this problem.

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Click the Windows 'Start' button > Select 'Run' - then copy/paste this into the run box & click OK: (assuming ComboFix.exe is on the desktop as instructed)

"%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe"

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It says the same thing C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\Combo-fix.exe is not a valid Win32 application

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Please delete Combo-Fix from your desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**
  • If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
  • During the download, rename Combofix to svchost.com

• Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on svchost.com
    & follow the prompts.
  • Please post the Log for further review.
**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It still wont work it says: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\svchost.com.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Edited by applestew, 01 January 2010 - 08:34 PM.

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Sorry for the delay:

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com, and should open at the end of the scan)

Also, please post the HJT Beta log as well.

Advertisements

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
downloaded exehelper cicked on the exehelper.com icon as instructed and it says C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\exehelper.com is not a valid Win32 application. as for the log here it is: v2.0.3 (BETA)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis
Scan saved at 4:53:22 PM, on 1/5/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCUService.exe
C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\EasySaver\ESSVR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG311v3\WinDomainlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCU.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG311v3\WG311v3.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTProShellHlp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: SearchHook Class - {BC86E1AB-EDA5-4059-938F-CE307B0C6F0A} - C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\AddressBarSearch.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.4.4525.1752\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Ask Toolbar BHO - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCU] "C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCU.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Pro Agent] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTProAgent.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG311v3 Smart Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG311v3\WG311v3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Windows Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_60D6097707281E79.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17) -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17) -
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) -
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Browser Configuration Utility Service (BCUService) - DeviceVM, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCUService.exe
O23 - Service: ES lite Service for program management. (ES lite Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\EasySaver\ESSVR.EXE
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe

--
End of file - 8473 bytes

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
How to run checkdisk from recovery console.
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I Ran that successfully(no errors), it said one or more problems were fixed, typed exit like it said it restarted. tried the executable s and it still does the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\.exe is not a valid Win32 application thing. Another thing i had forgotten to note was that all of those executable/installers s i have downloaded that you suggested had generic .exe icons(the little command prompt icon looking thing), an example would be like the regedit.exe in the windows folder they all look like that so something doesent seem right there either because i know they usually have a distinct icon.

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Hi applestew,

Please delete the copy of ComboFix you have then:

• During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Please post the "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" for further review.

applestew

applestew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
it still says C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\Combo-fix.exe is not a valid Win32