Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new Setup i would like

• Please log in to reply

nettoon1991

nettoon1991

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well i am working on some plans for a new setup and this is what i want
Any PCI cards must be low profile which is where my real problem is.

2 LCD monitors.
Problem: My computer only has one vga output at the moment and i am looking to get another video card. Nothing that great just something good enough so that i can have the two monitors going. Is there anything else i can get that wont mess up my resolution and is affordable? getting another video card is all i know.

TV tuner.
I am looking to buy a okay TV tuner for under $40 if thats possible. Like i said before its very hard to find any that are low profile. a usb tuner will work but im not sure which to buy. any advice will help! I will be using this TV tuner for my comcast cable.

My computer has a HMDI out port and i was wondering if i buy a monitor that supports that could i use both vga and HMDI at the same time? or does a HMDI to vga cable exist? Thanks again!

~ebay is my friend :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
We really can't offer any advice until we know what your computer supports. So we need brand and model numbers of the computer and/or motherboard. Note too that graphics cards are often the biggest power consumers - even more so than CPUs. This means you MUST ensure your power supply can support any new graphics card purchase, both in terms of power requirements, but also connections.

nettoon1991

nettoon1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
http://www.compusa.c...h...&CatId=5140

This is the model i have but i upgraded to windows 7 32 bit.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay - well the good news is it has a PCI Express X16 low profile slot. PCIe is 2 generations newer and much better than PCI. Despite similar names, they are totally different so it is extremely important to always specify PCIe instead of just PCI. There are many PCIe low profile cards to choose from (Newegg has 60!) so the next bit of information we need is about your monitors. Ideally they should support digital inputs via either DVI or HDMI. Note that DVI and HDMI carry the exact same video signal. The main difference is HDMI also carries 5.1 surround sound, but that is not normally a requirement in computer systems, since most have separate audio outputs. HDMI is here primarily because HDMI is fully implemented in home theater equipment and it is cheaper for makers to just use one standard connector, so HDMI is it. If your monitors do not support HDMI or DVI, you should still buy a card that does because it is almost a certainty your next monitors will ONLY support digital inputs. Analog (D-Sub/VGA) to DVI adapters are readily available. Many cards support 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and 1 D-sub, but typically you can only use 2 at a time. I recommend you always visit the maker's site and download the manual for the card before buying to make sure it will meet your needs - and to familiarize yourself with its features and installation procedures before it arrives.

The 220W PSU may be a problem as that is small by just about any standard. On Newegg, for many of the cards, the minimum PSU requirements will be listed under the specifications tab. If they are not, visit the card maker's site and find out. If you cannot find the information, you can generally look at a competing product that uses the same graphics engine, core clock speed, and RAM amount as the requirements will basically be the same. Do NOT get a new card until you have addressed power requirements!!!!!

Note that according to the specifications page for your computer, it does not list specifically any support for PCI cards. I have not personally seen any boards that don't - yet, but since PCI is 2 generations (pushing 20 years!) old, it is definitely coming, if not already here. Still that page does say it has two "Expansion Slots". That is bad documentation because the slots PCIe and AGP cards are installed in are also "expansion slots", but definitely not compatible slots. I suspect those two listed are PCI, and in that case, you could buy one of many PCI low profile cards available - but again, I would recommend PCIe.

nettoon1991

nettoon1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
i found this
http://www.newegg.co...0-121-_-Product

I dont see where the power requirements are :)

i just found this on google
GeForce 8400 GS cards have a maximum power draw of 71 watts.

so what does that mean? do i have to see how much my system is using without the card then subtract from whats left?

on TV Tuners i was looking at this device on ebay. I am mainly going to be using this with a standard cable line and maybe an xbox 360 from time to time. http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:B:WNA:US:1123

Edited by nettoon1991, 27 December 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That's why I said to look at competing products. The Gigabyte 8400GS with 512 says 300W minimum. I don't have any experience with that tuner so cannot comment about it.