Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lack Of Wireless Signal At Night

• Please log in to reply

VortexR18

VortexR18

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well, during the day, my computer grabs signals at around 4 to 5 bars. Around the night time, it drops to 1 to 2 bars. My main question is, if cell phones are placed around the router, is it possible that that may hinder the wireless signal i receive?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Yes, cell phones and any other wireless device in close proximity will adversely affect wireless signal strength. Another factor could be people living nearby using wireless internet on the same channel as your router after work (since you say the signal drops at night).

Go into your router configuration and change wireless setting to 'manual' if it's on automatic, then manually change the channel but keep it above channel 7 if possible 'cos below that the signal is usually weak anyway in my experience. Don't ask me why -- it just is! You might have to experiment with 3 or 4 different channels, each time checking how strong the signal is.

Any laptop which connects through the router wirelessly should detect a change of channel automatically.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 29 December 2009 - 05:03 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you running an unsecured network?
That will drop signal also because you may have others piggy backing and stealing your signal.

AdvHomeServer

AdvHomeServer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
If your internet is from cable, then consider congestion on the network as people fire up their TV and internet at night. Bars indicate signal strength, not speed. If you have a clear signal and good speed, no worries regardless of how many bars. If your signal slows down at night, then blame the neighbors.

Edited by AdvHomeServer, 21 January 2014 - 07:52 AM.