Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Won't Open

• Please log in to reply

SgtDavis

SgtDavis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know the subjects been covered counteless times before, but firefox won't open on my brand new (as of December 25th) laptop. The wireless functionality on it has been disabled, so I was using it to read pre-downloaded .htm / .html files. For some reason though, no matter what I do, (open .exe, open "Safe Mode") it still won't open. Its also not just FireFox, Internet Explorer and any other program that uses the internet is giving me the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but firefox won't open on my brand new (as of December 25th) laptop

Take it back to the store it was purchased and have it fixed under the warranty.
The system is 2 days old and already having problems. This is why you have the warranty and it should work for more then 2 days.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

but firefox won't open on my brand new (as of December 25th) laptop

Take it back to the store it was purchased and have it fixed under the warranty.
The system is 2 days old and already having problems. This is why you have the warranty and it should work for more then 2 days.

This is more likely a software problem. No store on the planet will warranty software. The first thing they'll tell you is to wipe the machine with the built-in Recovery program and then try it again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree Neil but we have to be careful since the system is brand new. The only option we have is to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. I'm basing my statement previously off this

The wireless functionality on it has been disabled
Internet Explorer and any other program that uses the internet is giving me the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

This would indicate a problem with the initial setup and that would be covered under warranty since it would be classified as a manufacturer problem. You are correct on what their course of action most likely would be with a format and reinstall.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I agree Neil but we have to be careful since the system is brand new. The only option we have is to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. I'm basing my statement previously off this

The wireless functionality on it has been disabled
Internet Explorer and any other program that uses the internet is giving me the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

This would indicate a problem with the initial setup and that would be covered under warranty since it would be classified as a manufacturer problem. You are correct on what their course of action most likely would be with a format and reinstall.

It is well known that of the big manufacturers, they will randomly pick a system or laptop at random and fire it up to ensure it's in full working order and play around a bit.
Sometimes they go out like this, though other times the tester should wipe the machine with the recovery software. With most of these it's perfectly possible to do a partial recovery, the result of which can be a hybrid Windows environment.

Therefore the very first course of action I would suggest would be to wipe the machine with the recovery software (destructive recovery). This is the first thing the store will do or tell the OP to do anyway so you may as well pre-empt this course of action. If it goes the same way again, then take it back under warranty.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see what you are saying now. I would agree since it is so new then there is not the chance of losing any data at this point.