Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply

Eville Dad

Eville Dad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My son is playing WOW and to improve performance we want to upgrade his CPU.

Currently using:
AMD Phenom 64 9500
Asus M3N78 Pro MOBO
Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+
320GB Western SATA HDD
750w Power Supply

Upgrading to AMD Phone II Black Edition 550.

Can I simply remove the the old CPU and Heatsink and install the new CPU and Heatsink or do I need to upgrade the BIOS or any other settings in advance to support the new CPU?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Before replacing the CPU, make sure you have an adequate supply of RAM. You did not say how much is installed but if less than 2Gb, that may be a bottleneck that negates any advantage the new CPU might offer. If you have plenty, then as long as the board supports the new CPU (see here) you don't need to do anything special with the BIOS. It is typically best to boot directly into the BIOS on first boot, make sure all is properly identified, date and time are corrent, then Save and Exit as this will then set any HW changes in the BIOS and boot normally.

Then of course, it is paramount you apply a proper layer of TIM to ensure maximum heat transfer - see TIM.

Eville Dad

Eville Dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your reply, that is very helpful!

Eville Dad

Eville Dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
By the way, I have 4M RAM.
I had a problem after installing the new CPU the fans and lights came on but no boot up.
I reinstalled the original CPU and same problem, I think checked all my connections and think my HDD SATA may have been jostled because after plugging it in again it booted up fine, but with the old CPU.
I will get some TIM and try the new CPU next, thanks again!