Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

aol instant messanger

• Please log in to reply

anjilo

anjilo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz:

My aol instant messanger did work. Now it connects, people can talk to me but when I try to type back to them, it tells me an error has occured and instant messanger must shut down. I have tried downloading multiple versions. I now have the new 5.9 version. I have scanned my computer for viruses and it didn't find any. My operating system is windows xp pro. Please someone HHHHeeeellllp.

Anjilo

I have Spybot S&D and I fixed all problems. Then I tried the TrendMicro's House call. No viruses. Then I installed GAIM. It works great and it took my buddy list from AIM.

Thanks alot Starhawk.

Edited by anjilo, 18 May 2005 - 11:49 AM.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi anjilo and thanks for using Geeks to Go for your tech support.

I have a few questions
  • What is the exact error message AIM gives you? :tazz: Write it down and post it here.
  • Which anti-virus program do you use? And is it up to date?
  • Do you use a firewall other than the one XP provides?
  • Is XP up to date, have you did all needed windows updates?
  • Do you use any antispyware programs?
A few Suggestions
  • report your problem to AIM
  • If you have multiple versions of AIM on your computer, uninstall all but the most recent.
  • Take an online virus scan, you can use one of these two, TrendMicro's House Call or ActiveScan.
  • Download Spybot S&D and Adaware, install them, update them and then scan your computer and fix all problems. you can find links for these downloads Here at our home page.
  • Until we solve AIM's problem use Trillian or GAIM instead of AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and the like. These are better programs anyway, free and spyware free. At least you could probably talk to your friends. If one of these doesn't work let us know. ;)
You probably have a spyware infection and should consider following the advice Here

Edited by StarHawk, 17 May 2005 - 07:37 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
also;

http://www.geekstogo...Fix-t24392.html