Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard and power supply swapping

• Please log in to reply

pcboybob

pcboybob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a Dell Dimension 3000 that died. The case and power supply are good. Can I put my Dell GX270 motherboard in the Dimension 3000 case using its power supply? The reason I want to move it to the other case is that the GX270 is a low profile case and my really good AGP video card is not low profile so it won't fit in the GX270 case. I was wondering if the higher wattage power supply in the Dimension would damage the GX270 motherboard. The GX270 has a 150 watt power supply and the Dimension has a 250 watt power supply. I have been told that it would actually run better, the motherboard, not starving for power but I want to be safe. It's all I have for now. Thanks for any assistance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory yes, in practice probably not as Dell boards and cases are unique to each model.
Anyway the other thing to think about is why the 3000 died in the first place. If it was the power supply that killed it, do you really want to kill another board with it?