Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smartphones

• Please log in to reply

1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. I am thinking of spending some serious dosh on a smartphone - probably iphone 3GS or HTC HD2 (leaning in favour of the latter).

Would I be right in saying that, without installing protective measures, these devices are vulnerable to malware? I am guessing yes.

Is one of these models particularly more vulnerable than the other? In the conventional pc market, I understand that both windows-based and apple-based machines have theoretically similar levels of vulnerability, but windows-based machines are more heavily targetted because of their market dominance. Perhaps the reverse is the case in the phone market, as apple is the market leader (but for how long?)

What software is recommended to protect the phone (or is there a choice of broadly equivalent products), and does this tend to come pre-installed on purchase?

My limited experiences with more traditional computers tells me that whatever protection you install only provides limited protection and vulnerability can never be wholly eradicated. So my final 2 questions are:

Do these phones allow you to take incremental backups to external media, including of operating system as well as data files, ie in the same way that I can use NovaStor backup to protect my pc?

If despite best efforts your phone ends up being infected, is it possible to reinstall the operating system etc back to its factory settings, and does the answer to this vary (or vary in complexity) depending on the above model chosen?

Thanks for any feedback

Edited by 1eyedjack, 28 December 2009 - 02:42 AM.

Advertisements