Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How to add missed XP installation files?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a set of 2 XP CDs (CD1: XP installation w/ SP1, CD2: SP2 CD). I had installed XP in my brother's PC successfully. However, when I intended to install it in my PC, my PC's DVD drive couldn't extract below files: cdosys.dll, driver.cab, msi.dll, intl.inf, MSIMTF.dll. Although XP installation went to completion, many serious side effects appeared e.g. I couldn't proceed with SP2 installation; installation of many applications such as norton antivirus failed due to msi.dll missed. I knew that the problem should be in my samsung DVD drive since its performance was consistently not good these few months. Since I couldn't buy a new DVD drive in these few days and I have no spare DVD drive to swap with current samsung DVD drive in use, I would like to ask if I could directly copy those missed files to current XP directories? Where should I copy those files if answer to previous question is yes?

Tks for help!

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Since most of the files on a microsoft windows xp cd are compressed, or archived inside microsoft's proprietary 'cabinet' folders (cab), I'm afraid simply copying them over manually wouldn't work. The setup routine does all the decompression 'on the fly' when windows is installed.

I should also point out that, unless you have paid for a multi-user or volume licence key, it's illegal to install windows on more than one pc using the same media and the same key.

• 34,114 posts
Media per say is not the problem. You could borrow a cd from a friend and use it as long as it is the same type as what was originally installed on your system. The reg key is what you have as your unique key.
Your description is telling me that you installed using your cd but what reg key did you use? Does your brother have his own reg key on his system or did you use your reg key to install it on his system?