Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer will not open

• Please log in to reply

missy1998

missy1998

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Internet Explorer will not open. Windows XP. Please help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello missy1998.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,
Your description is not very good.
Does Ie try to start?
Do you get any error message?
How far does it go before it fails?
Was there any recent updates done on the system like software or hardware?
Anything downloaded from the internet prior to issue starting?
Have you tried to start IE with no add ons to see if it works?

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

missy1998

missy1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was able to access internet explorer by removing Macafee...I have follwed all directions in the trojan spyware directions downloaded avast and Malwarebytes. I have scanned and deleted but now have some type of google redirect problem. My system is windows XP. It is running very slow and will not access any google links. Please let me know the next step. I know I need to post logs but not sure how or what logs are needed. Thanks so much.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here