Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Still Waiting for Reply

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

snickers

snickers

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I first posted on 12/19 here:
http://www.geekstogo...re-t262236.html

I then posted in waiting room on 12/22 here:
http://www.geekstogo...re-t262611.html

I still haven't heard a reply and was wondering why.
Is it because people are busy due to holiday season, or did I post something in the wrong way?
Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts

Is it because people are busy due to holiday season, or did I post something in the wrong way?
Thanks for any help!

holidays will be the reason. speaking personally, i cant start of fix if i know i will be away within 5 days.

hopefully we should start getting round to you.

oh look, someone has . . . . . :)

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I upgraded my PC with the components below 3 years ago (my sig). I used it for about a week after building it then havent touched it since. As can be seen the GPU at the time was one of the best costing me £300. Rather a waste as its worthless now. Ok now here is what I want to be able to do:

I am purchasing either a 22 or 24 inch HD (depending on screen size however I am thinking that its best to get 2 inch as the resolution of it is perfect - anything higher and it seems that alot of GPU's will not handle new games at that resolution on max settings - not to mention the distance one must sit from a larger screen) screen not sure which size yet or what format (16:10 etc)

I want to be able to play my old games such as Tomb Raider Legend and Annivesary, Hitman Blood Money, Far Cry (with HDR patch), C&C Tiberium Wars, GRAW 2 as well as newer games such as Far Cry 2 etc.

I want to be able to play on max settings at the screens native resolution.

I want to be able to play them at a smooth FPS ideally over 60FPS (Tiberium wars is limited to 30FPS I know).
I will also be using it to watch HD video.

The systems components would bottleneck a new GPU that costs £300+ so I do not think that is such a good idea. My question is would replacing the 8800 GTS I have in the PC at the moment with something low cost such as one of these: http://www.overclock.......&subid=1402 give me a significant improvement in FPS?
How is it possible to tell which new GPU would be bottlenecked by my system?
Also note that my system has a 965P board which if I remember does not have PCI-E 2.0.

A new system build is out of the question as I am spending in excess of £1,000 on re decorating my room and purchasing a new screen etc.

Would it be advisable to wait till I can afford a complete system overhaul before purchasing a GPU? Or would a lower cost GPU be cost-efficient given that I am a student and do not have a job so it would mean getting a job and waiting for about a year to be able to re-build to a nice high spec.

Many Thanks

Posted a while back was told to post here. Many thanks

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,640 posts
Hi Mitesh,

You need to post in the waiting room HERE not the feedback forum. Also when you post in the waiting room be sure to include a link to your original topic. :)