Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just found a recovery console cd for hp pavilion home pc, windows xp home edition. Would it run in the cd rom?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it the cd for your system?
If so then try it but don't do anything. See if it will boot to the cd

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It still will not boot even with the recovery disk. The drive lights up for about 10 seconds and then stops. The previous error message appears.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a bad cdrom drive then.
Even the premade disc will not work so it has to be a faulty drive

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. Is there any way then to reboot the system without losing the data files? Sorry if this sounds crazy...is there any way in which the computer can boot from a flash key and/or an external hard drive (perhaps that way I can copy the puppy linux file to an external device.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I quickly scanned the post and it definitely sounds like the cd drive is bad.
Is this a laptop or a desktop? I don't want to re-read.
We can usually save the data by puppy linux (but you can't boot). Also we can remove the drive and slave it to another computer.

If a laptop, it will be tough to repair without a working CD drive.

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It is a desktop.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Booting from a flash drive is usually very complicated. A lot depends on whether your computer will boot from USB.
Since it is a desktop, the easiest at this time is to try another CD drive in the system. Borrow 1 if you have to.

The next possibility is to slave the drive to another computer or put it in a enclosure and then use another computer to get the files.

We can't repair the drive or OS with out access to cd's through the CD unit/reader

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
2 questions (and I apologize if they are ridiculous):
1) I am able to pull out a working CD drive from a laptop...is it possible to install it on the nonworking desktop and if so, how? (Desktop is HP Pavillion 7955)
2) Could an enclosure be created with a laptop and if so, how is that done?
Thanks for all of your input.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
No question is ridiculous. After all that is how we learn.

A CD drive from a laptop will not work. It is a different data and power connection.
Also, there is no way that you can use the laptop to boot to a desktop.

You have limited options.

To retrieve the data.
1. Slave the drive to another desktop.
2. A working CD drive to use Puppy Linux.
3. Place the drive in a USB enclosure and use the laptop.

To repair/reload the OS on the desktop
1. A working CD drive.

We attempt to retrieve your data 1st. That is because we can't guarantee what will happen during the repair.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks 123Runner I'm running alittle late this morning and trying to catch up. Your instructions are right on and the best solution if a Live cd option will not work.

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for all of your input.

Booting from a flash drive is usually very complicated. A lot depends on whether your computer will boot from USB.
Since it is a desktop, the easiest at this time is to try another CD drive in the system. Borrow 1 if you have to.

Above you mention about borrowing a CD drive...what specifications does it need to have. Would an external CD drive be acceptable?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Would an external CD drive be acceptable?

I do not know if this will work because in essence it would be USB. I have never tried this. It could very well work because I know that a external USB floppy will boot.

As for another CD drive, it depends on what you want (CD, CDRW, CD/DVD combo)
You most likely have a ide connection on the CD drive now so SATA will not work.

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you both for your suggestions and follow up. Another thought, whether or not it is logical is to be determined. Is it possible to boot from a floppy; ie boot a usb via a floppy, or use a floppy disk image to retrieve data files and then recover.

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think that this is similar to the question I posted earlier but perhaps stated more clearly (at least in my mind). Is it possible to boot the computer from a floppy with a disk image, once the desktop computer is booted insert a USB storage device, flash key/external hard drive which has puppy on it, then once on the puppy desktop retrieve the data files, and finally reinstall XP either via recovery disk (using an external CD drive) or destructive recovery (F10 on HP). Thanks for your time.