Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Booting from a floppy is always a possibility. The problem is that you would be operating in pure DOS mode. You could copy files that way but it is difficult to do.
A floppy is to small to hold a image of any OS.
The Puppy Linux needs to be booted from the CD. There is no way to get it to work through a USB external. It needs to start and load to memory.

Advertisements

hfainman

hfainman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ran across this during my research: from plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Run from Floppy with a disk image

A floppy disk image is a file that contains every sector of the floppy disk. You cannot copy the image file on a floppy disk like a common file. It's required to use a special program that writes sector per sector of the image file to the floppy disk sectors. There are many programs available to do this.

Download the current boot manager plpbt-5.0.7.zip. Extract it to get the floppy disk image plpbt.img.

DOS: You can use diskimg.com with diskimg -d a -w plpbt.img

Windows: Write the disk image with the program rawwritewin to the floppy disk

Linux: dd if=plpbt.img of=/dev/fd0

You can configure the plpbt.bin on the floppy with plpcfgbt.

What are your thoughts?

Also if I booted from a floppy and then ran puppy on an external USB CD-ROM would that work? Would the desktop recognize the external CD-ROM?

If I do not want to slave the hard drive (since finding another desktop appears to be my current limitation) is my next best choice to buy a CD-ROM (IDE) install it in the hardrive and then proceed with puppy and finally recovery?

Thanks for all of your input and best wishes for a wonderful year.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I do not know exactly what that is.
I do know that boot managers allow booting of different OS.

As for booting from a external CD drive, your bios MUST have an option to boot from USB.
Have you checked in your bios for that option?

How to boot from USB