Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Importing all data as text for Microsoft Access

• Please log in to reply

PJYelton

PJYelton

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there a setting or property in Microsoft Access I can set so that all imported columns are always text? I spend most of my day importing large text files in to Access databases and many columns are catalog numbers where I want to keep the leading zeroes or Access only looks at the first couple entries and determines they are numbers but further down they start using alpha-numeric numbers resulting in import errors. Its such a waste of time for every table have to scroll through the advanced options and change every column from number to text after an import, sometimes having to change over 50 columns.

This is for Microsoft Access 2000.

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I had simialr problems in the past and overcome them by the following method. You may need to save your data in a CSV format.

in Access
File > Get External Data > Import
select your file eg. *.csv
import
advanced --- at this point you can create an "import specification" this is the key to your solution.
"save as" will allow you to save the import specification for future use.

Hope this helps