Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download updates - unknown publisher/digital signature error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KL23

KL23

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Recently when I tried to download the latest iTunes update I got through the "run" stage and then receive an Internet Explorer Security Warning error message saying: "Windows has found a problem with this file." It says the publisher is unknown and that "This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher."

At first I thought there was something amiss with the download. I eventually got "help" from apple support and they suspected it was my router. Not sure why. Their suggested potential fix was pretty complicated so since I was okay with my latest iTunes I skipped the update.

Then I wanted to download adobe AIR and got the same message.

The adobe and iTunes sites seem legit and trustworthy and I don't understand why I would be getting this message suddenly. I haven't changed any security settings or anything.

I have Norton security.

I tried to install Firefox to use it to download the programs but got an error message saying "the file is corrupt".

I tried going into IE security settings and adjusting a bunch of stuff - I checked "allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid" since it was unchecked and I want to install the software even though IE keeps telling me the signature is invalid. I also checked or unchecked some others relating to security certificate stuff and tried again with different combos. Again, same message "unknown publisher" and the invalid signature thing.

What the heck? Why is this happening suddenly? Never had problems like this before.

Edited by KL23, 28 December 2009 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

KL23

KL23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here's my HijackThis log, FYI...

[HJT log removed]
--
End of file - 11254 bytes

Edited by admin, 06 January 2010 - 02:28 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Duplicate topic. Original topic here.

Closed.