Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports quit working

• Please log in to reply

diluted

diluted

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell desktop, and all my USB ports quit working. I have tried doing numerous things, but I use a mouse via USB. Without that, I am unable to move around and click what I need to. I even looked up using the keyboard instead of a mouse, and that didnt work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

diluted

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's a relatively recent Dell machine with only five USB ports on the back, sound, network and graphics, your only real option is a Windows Repair as it sounds like the USB drivers are corrupt. If it was a machine with the ability to connect other types of mouse to it (PS/2 for example) you could purge the drivers with it and it should solve the problem. Unfortunately a totally USB set up is prone to this sort of catch-22 situation where you need to delete the bits you need using the bits that you can't use because the bits that drive them need deleting. It's why I cannot recommend a total USB set up, especially under XP.

Your original Dell CD is what you need and there's a sticky at the top of the forum for Windows repairs. Also remember to go to Windows Update afterwards.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 December 2009 - 03:57 AM.