Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I used my computer the day before yesterday, and everything was fine, I shut it down and went to bed. The next day I turned it on and it wouldn't boot, it will turn on I see the Dell load but then all I see is a black screen with a blinking underscore... I have no clue why it is doing that, I am using my old computer right now, but it runs on windows 2000 and I don't want to use this long term. Someone help!?

Advertisements

jrichar348

jrichar348

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,something to try. I had the same problem with my CPU. I had to replace my mouse (it shorted out). I put on a new mouse & it works fine. I have had this happen a couple of time one other time was a mouse also and another was a joy stick.

Hope this is it for a quick fix.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to boot to Safe Mode or to Last Known Good Configuration ?
This could reset the system so it will reboot back into normal mode.

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok I'll try that

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
"Have you tried to boot to Safe Mode or to Last Known Good Configuration?"

No, I can't remember how to do that, is it in the menue when I click F2?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Normally you would tap the F8 key to reach the Advance Boot Menu or Options Menu
Yours may be the F2 key.

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, well I'm gonna plug in my computer and try that

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That did not work. The setup menu on my computer is F2 but it had no option for system restore.
I tried F8 that did nothing...
And I tried plugging in a different mouse and keyboard none of those things helped. I'm stuck :\

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don;t know where you got system restore. I asked about Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration
You won't find System Restore there as it has to be loaded from the Recovery Console
Is this a laptop or Desktop?
What is the model of the system? Dell is the make but that is very broad considering the hundreds of models they make.

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Desktop

Optiplex Gx110

BOS Revision A05

Phoenix BIOS PLUS
Version 1.12 Ao5

I don't know what is helpful and what is not, so I wrote it all down...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK do you have a Genuine Microsoft Xp or a Recovery Disk from Dell?

Give this a try. Without knowing a little more about what caused the problem, I can't guarantee it will work...and it requires the machine you make the disk on AND the machine you are fixing are both running XP.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
* Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Thanks to wannabe1

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't have a Recovery Disk, this computer was a hand me down from my dads friend. :[ [bleep]. I have terrible luck with computers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK follow the instructions and create the cd and hopefully this will get your system backup and running. In case this doesn't work is there data on the drive you want to save?

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, music files, word documents, and pictures

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock