Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Adapter stopped working maybe shot

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok so i have a Linksys wireless-G network adapter in my pc, which was working then started to fade, and eventualy stopped working. It still recognizes the adapter and it tries to connect to a network, sits there finishes, but does not connect, but when it finishes trying it doesnt say that it couldnt connect.
So i am wondering if my adapter is shot or is there a way to fix it.
It is not my router because i am connected on my laptop.
Things i have tried:
Reinstalling the driver for the card
setting a static ip address
Tried resetting router/modem

On other note the card has to be like 5 years old with the pc being around 7 years old
Running on windows XP Service Pack 3

Edited by Prominia, 29 December 2009 - 02:42 PM.

Advertisements

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I found another computer with a adapter in it but i cant figure out how to open it so any other suggestions in the mean time would be appreaciated

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go,

See if you can take a picture of the "new" tower? I might be able to see what needs to be done to open it up... Please take several shots "from differant angles" and attach them here...

If you can't do that, what is the make and model of the computer... I can look it up and figure it out... "Maybe"

Good luck

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ended up frusturated i tried to find how to open it with no luck eventually just ended up ripping it open not sure if its gonna close again... it was an old pc that no one was using though

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok so i tried out the other network card which was a netgear ma311 b and when i try to connect it says "windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please Refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."
This card may not work with my router which is an airport extreme...
So i have no idea if there is a problem with my adapter
Do you think i should purchase another adapter?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Do you have the drivers disk the "card" came with?

If not you should download and install the driver from the net and try to connect again...

If that doesn't work you need to shut down your Computer, Your Router, And Your "gateway" modem.

Once you have had them powered down. "for about 30-60 seconds"

Starting at your modem power it up, wait until all the lights have finished coming on.
Then power up your router make sure it is fully up and running.
Then finally start your computer and see if that works...

Let me know how it works... good luck

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
thank you for replying yes tried that with both cards i dont think its the router because my laptop is connected and working fine

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok so i noticed when i put in the netgear card the ACT light in the back was green as opposed to the Linksys card which does not turn green, but blinks green when trying to connect, so it seems to me that the card is no longer working.
Would you agree with this or does this have nothing to do with it?
On other note when connected with the Linksys card while it was working i would get around 54mbps but before it stopped working it was at 1mbps.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Wow do i feel stupid it ended up being a loose wire connected to the router.
Sorry for wasting your time

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
while im here is it better to set up the computer as static IP? because i read somewhere that it was

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi I'm glad that you figured this problem out... sometimes it is the easiest things that are the problem...

As for the static IP address. I'm not sure if it is important... From what I under stand. The "real" benefit from having a static IP would be if you are going have the computer act as a server\host. Then if that is the case you want the address to be the same so you can always "find it" But that is my interpretation of it in 2 seconds...

If you don't have a need for it. there is no reason to use a static IP in my beliefs... It will not give you better access, and you will likely have to pay for a static IP

If you want to know more about it I can find someone and they can answer the question better than I can...

Hope it helps, And if someone else has a better answer then Go ahead.

Good luck