Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba A200 satellite freezing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have this program...AZUREUS?

Advertisements

jonesie48

jonesie48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think so, yeah. But it's called Vuze now I think. It's a torrent downloader, but I haven't used it in a while.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it may be a problem. The program itself is not a problem but it could have been one of the files you downloaded could have some type of infection. Maybe a trojan or bloatware that is slowing things down. Just as a precaution i would like to make sure but it would mean you need to start a new forum to have your system checked out for it.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would ask you post a link to this subject in that new topic once you start it and please post a link to that topic here.
I would be interested in knowing if indeed that is the root of the problem.

jonesie48

jonesie48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for all the help. I download only video files (TV shows etc.) from torrents, so I doubt it's a virus from that. I will run all the scans and let you know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for your understanding and you cooperation.

jonesie48

jonesie48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi again. I went over to the thread you linked to, and ran all the scans suggested. It came up with nothing at all - not even adware. I haven't started a thread in the malware section, because I'm hesitant to waste their valuable time if it turns out not to be malware.

For the past two days (up until a few hours ago) my laptop hadn't frozen at all. I've been watching the temperatures on Core Temp and Speedfan, and they have been quite low. But at times they reached above 70 degrees (Celsius), into the mid-70s. Is that a possible reason for the freezing?

Maybe I just need to buy a cooling fan?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Instead of a fan I would suggest like one of the cooling mats. They seem to allow air flow under the laptop which allows for a cooler running system. Of course this won't help much with taking the laptop with you but then just make sure all vents on the laptop are cleaned out so airflow can be maximized.
It is great to hear it has been running good all this time.
But at times they reached above 70 degrees (Celsius), into the mid-70s. Is that a possible reason for the freezing
Yes this can be the problem.

jonesie48

jonesie48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'll get a cooling mat then.

Thanks again for all the help. I really do appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know if it helps. It may help someone in the future with the same issue.

Advertisements

jonesie48

jonesie48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just to let people know in case they have a similar problem, I believe my issue was caused by AVG. I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast, and the laptop has been fine since.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the post on your results and I'm sure it will help someone in the future with the same issue.
Congratulations on your issue being resolved successfully. :) :) :) :)

ramboNUFCSFC

ramboNUFCSFC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry to restart this thread but I have the exact same problem Jonesie has had and reading this thread his solution wouldnt help me as I never had AVG,always had Avast.

in additon to all the things that happend to his A200 mine freezes even before start up somtimes. I have found it has frozen:
- during normal start up (windows xp loading screen)
- after normal start up a few mins in it locked up (most occuring)
- frozen during a spyware check
- in safemode start up it has frozen ( though starting in safe mode seems to be the most successful if i manage to enter safemode, with no freezes in hours.)
- using recovery disk it has completed the whole process and then frozen when installing the OS
- And most annoyingly it freezes when doing an error disk check, somtimes freezing before it starts somtimes 10 - 12% in

Ive used the xp recovery disk to set it to factory settings (still froze), used it to clear the HDD (still freezes) manged to reinstall the orginal vista system the laptop had before the usual freezing a few mins into it.

Previously have done a defrag, performed a spyware and virus scan with nothing appearing with the problems still happening. So atm i have a fresh install of vista on with nothing else on it and its still freezing randomly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by ramboNUFCSFC, 13 February 2010 - 03:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: ramboNUFCSFC

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

MrDavidF

MrDavidF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

I know this is an old post but i believe i have found out what locks these A200's up ( there are a few on various forums with this problem ).
I have three of these machines and although very good for what i do ( automotive diagnostics ) one of them would just freeze whenever it felt like it. Sometimes three or four times a day, other times it could be ok for days. So like others i tried various software programs to try and capture the event but nothing would show. Whatever was on the screen at the time was visible but no hardware response ( mouse, keyboard, caps lock etc ) all dead. Power button reset was the only way back.

Well last week one of the batteries in a good A200 became unbearably poor ( been struggling with it for a while ) and so i decided to swap the better one from the machine that locks up. An hour later, the good machine froze. So i left them both switched on for a few days and it froze again, but the one that usually froze was ok. I swapped the now suspect battery to the third A200 and a couple of days later it also froze.

So, in my case at least, the battery is causing the freezing.

Just thought i would share that in the hope of saving someones sanity :D

Dave F