Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website / database backup utility

• Please log in to reply

mouse

mouse

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I run many, many sites and need to remotely back them up, to my computer that runs windows / linux. I have been searching almost all day because I'm in the process of upgrading a few of the sites and need to back them up.

If there is anything out there like that, the features that are a need are:

Multiple site support
MySQL database backup
Automation
Be able to set times
Ability to burn to cd by itself

I know this is a long shot for the price but hey you never know.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'm watching this thread hoping you find something like this. I do most of these jobs manually, except I back up the databases online, to folders outside the root, not a local computer or cd.

Does your current webhosting include cPanel?
Johanna

mouse

mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Npo cPanel, we use direct admin but i would rather back up off site just incase the unthinkable happens. I know the owner of the servers personally and even help staff his services so i know he backs up daily. but see i feel more comfortable if i have a backup as well haha.

The other sites I maintain do have cPanel though.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The reason I asked about cPanel is that there is a utility for database back ups included in it that I have found unreliable. If your cPanel allows you to use phpmyadmin, do your database backups from there. You can, of course, save them wherever you want, and there are other options (compression selective tables etc) not available in the simplified cPanel utility.
Johanna

mouse

mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oh yeah I knew about that, and do it when I can. But see I want to automate the backups so really I don't have to do anything haha.