Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud Noies From Computer

• Please log in to reply

thatguy999

thatguy999

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been expiriencing some noises coming from my computer and can't figure out exactly where it's coming from or what i should do about it. It's a humming noise that rev's up and down. Sometimes staying constant for a while with an occasional fluxuation(sp?) in speed and sometimes sounding like a manual transmission up and down shifting. Thought it was a case fan...checked em. Nope. Thought is was the proccesor heatsink fan...unplugged it. Nope. Thought it was the power supply. Replaced it. Still having the same type of of sound issues. When i tapped on the old power supply it would calm the sound down, then it would come back. Sounded like the fan slowed down when i tapped it. New power supply does the exact same thing! I read on here that it could be a hard drive getting ready to die? I do music production and recording, and this noise is making it so i can't do any recording because the mic pics it up! Can't make any money if i can't record people. Not cool :) got any ideas? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CPU Specs:
Intel P4 3.6ghz
Asus P4P 800se Motherboard
1Gig RAM
450 watt BFG Power Supply (NEW)
4 Internal HD's / 1 Exteral HD
Any other questions, just ask.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dynamic CPU fan speed control. Speeds up as the temperature does. Normal behaviour though you'll probably find the bearings are on the way out on the fan if the machine's a few years old.
Your P4 range unfortunately is prone to getting rather hot and a lot of boards at this time have strange "keep temperature at" settings, typically as "low" as 60 degrees Celsius. Because the processors were hot anyway the fans do a lot of throttling and some fans are noisier than others.

thatguy999

thatguy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The strange thing is, is that these sounds just came out of no where, which led me to investigate the noise. So I decided to replace the power supply, which unfortunately didn't fix the noise problem. Now i'm at a loss. I just want my comp to be as quiet as it used to be.

nawky

nawky

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
maybe the hardrive. when my hardrive got old it started to get noisy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

The strange thing is, is that these sounds just came out of no where, which led me to investigate the noise. So I decided to replace the power supply, which unfortunately didn't fix the noise problem. Now i'm at a loss. I just want my comp to be as quiet as it used to be.

Have you read what I wrote above?
Take the side of the case off, use a pen to temporarily stop the CPU fan (do not use your fingers unless you want blood all over the inside of your case) and see if the noise stops.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also to check to see if it is the hard drive then unplug the power from it and start the system. Does the sound start then?
Turn system off and plug hard drive back in and does sound return?