Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I modify the Remote Desktop Startup script?

• Please log in to reply

Greg30329

Greg30329

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I work from home three days a week and use VPN and Remote Desktop to connect to my computer at work. I wanted to be able to print on my home printer while logged into my desktop at work, so I tried installing the driver for it while in the office one day. It failed because it couldn't find it on the network. The next imte I logged in from home (and everytime since) I get a prompt after launching Remote Desktop to complete the installation (accepting the licnese agreement). I respond yes, but it never completes. I've tried uninstalling what I installed on my work desktop, and I see no reference to the printer unless I use Remote Desktop to connect from home. I suspect there is some startup script on my home computer (?) for RD that is telling my work computer that I need to complete the installation, but I can't locate it.

Please help. It is quite annoying.....

Greg

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
What model printer do you have at home?

Have you notified your administrator at work about your printing troubles?

Greg30329

Greg30329

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The printer I have at home is a Dell Photo 926.

The issue is not one I need to report to my printer support people at work. I've decided not to add the printer and I want Remote Desktop to stop prompting me to complete the installation.

Greg

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
On your work computer, you will have to go into Add/remove programs and remove the Dell Photo 926 software.

When you connect using RDP, your computer tells the computer you are connecting to ( your work computer ) that is now has another printer. If your work computer does not have the printer driver installed, your work computer will ask for the software or give an error in the event log stating that the driver is unavailable.

By using Add/remove programs, you should be able to remove all portions of the printer drivers and stop the messages from popping up.

Hope this helps,

Greg30329

Greg30329

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply, but there is no driver installed for my home printer. I see none when I go to Add/Remove programs.

The problem is in Remote Desktop. There must be some script file or startup file that thinks the printer installation needs to be completed. When I view my work computer AT work, there is no reference to my home printer. After connecting to my work computer and responding to the "Accept License Agreement" popup, my home printer appears in my list of printers on my work computer.

Greg

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
If your work computer is Windows XP:

• Click Start then Control Panel
  • Double click on Printers and Faxes
  • Click on File then click on Server Properties
  • Click on the Drivers tab and slide down in the list till you find Dell Photo AIO Printer 926
  • Click on Dell Photo AIO Printer 926 and then click the remove button.

This should remove the driver from your work computer and stop the message.

If your work computer is Windows Vista:

• Click the Start Button/Windows Icon then click on Control Panel
  • Click the Printers Icon ( if you cannot see it, click on Classic View on the lefthand side )
  • You will now "right-click" on any white space and then click on Server Properties
  • Click on the Drivers tab and slide down in the list till you find Dell Photo AIO Printer 926
  • Click on Dell Photo AIO Printer 926 and then click the remove button.

The should remove the driver from your work computer and stop the message.

Hope this helps,

Edited by Techextreme, 29 December 2009 - 12:31 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
You can also go to Remote desktop, then click on options. This will expand the screen menu to include several options. Select local resources. Under that tab, you will have an option for printers. Just deselect the checked box next to it.

This will tell the rdp session not to bring printer resources as part of the session. After making the change, just click connect to complete the change and test it.

Greg30329

Greg30329

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Techextreme. Removing the drivers took care of the problem.

Greg

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Glad I could help.

Have a Happy New Year. :)