Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD During XP installation

• Please log in to reply

Gabbi_A

Gabbi_A

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I've backed up my data and was trying to re-install windows. I used my Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 installation CD, and it keeps giving the BSOD at a particular phase. It's quite at the beginning, after you boot from the CD for the first time, and all the files are loaded. When it says 'Starting Windows' at the bottom, it gives me the blue screen. I've tried two different disks. Also ran SpinRite (option 2 - data recovery, it found no bad sectors), and Memtest - 5 passes, and 0 errors.

How can I trouble shoot this?
I'd be greatful for some advice.

Gabby.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Gabbi_A.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,
You have not supplied enough information for us to assist you.
Is this a name brand system?
What make and model is it if it is a name brand system?
Are the XP disks you are using for the system you are trying to repair?
Are the disks Genuine or are the copies or burned disks?
Are they full versions or upgrades?
What is the reason for the reinstallation of XP?
Did you change the boot sequence in bios for the system to boot straight to the cdrom first?

Gabby_A

Gabby_A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Thanks for your reply!

I changed the CD-ROM drive and that solved the problem. But now, after I installed XP, updated, installed security soft and some other soft, I am having new problems. I hope it is OK to post them here?

I have reinstalled XP (from a genuine disk, off course) because my old installation was becoming too 'clattered' and my PC was slowing down. A friend recommended to reinstall and found all the drivers for my hardware for me.

Ran all updates - SP3, Explorer 8, all the updates selected by Windows by default.

When I shut down or restart, I get a message that Explorer.exe can not be closed, so I have to select "End Now". When the computer boots, I get the following message:

"The Instruction 0x7342611a referenced memory at 0x7342611a. The memory could not be 'written'".

This is a clean install. I installed Windows, then drivers, then the following software:

Foxit Reader
Avast Home (was installed before everything else)
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
Firefox 3.5.6
Google Chrome
ERUNT
WinAmp
VLC
Process Explorer
DeepBurner Pro
Picasa
Kodak Easyshare
Gimp for Windows
Picasa 3
Incredimail 2.0 (many errors happened during installation of Incredimail)

What is causing this error, and how can it be solved?

Thanks,
Gabby.

PS: I changed my user name because I lost my password and cannot connect to my mail for password retrieval, sorry : )

Edited by Gabby_A, 03 January 2010 - 04:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing I would suggest is the most obvious. The memory diagnostics.

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Gabby_A

Gabby_A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I already did that. 6 Passes, no errors.
Also went to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced, clicked the "Reset" button to rest all to defaults.
Is it possible to remove Explorer 8 and install it again? Tried in Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs, but it was not possible from there.

Thanks,
Gabby.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go back to Add\Remove and at the top of the window there is a little box that says Show all updates make sure that is clicked and once the window is populated then check for the IE8 update. You should be able to uninstall it then.

Gabby_A

Gabby_A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I'll try and let you know how it went.
After that I need to re-install Explorer, right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes once IE is stable then you can reinstall IE8.

Gabby_A

Gabby_A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All I can do is remove a couple of security updates and install them again.
I tried that, tried Removing Windows Components (IE, Outlook Ex., Messenger). After removing the IE8 component I got the error again. Re-installed updates, no error. Then in Add remove components added IE8 again - error. Tried removing, reinstalling updates (those two lousy updates are all I can reinstall in IE?), but now the error is not going away. I run Chrome, I get this error (explorer.exe). It looks like all my installation on which I've worked for 7 hours is gone to [bleep]....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem