Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD STOP Error

• Please log in to reply

BSOD Victim

BSOD Victim

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
BSOD Stop error prevents windows boot.
Need to recover data on the C drive.

XP Home SP3, Dell PC, No system recovery discs as XP pre-installed. Have access code for XP

History
I hope someone can help with this Microsoft are being very quiet about it.
Recently dealt with unauthorised changes to registery from a virus, to allow MS updates to work, from instructions from MS tech support.
Finally succeeded in loading a downloading and installing a large number of updates, then on restart to implement, the PC has generated the following STOP error.
0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Dell internal diagnostics routines indicate all is well, with drives, memory etc
Will not start in any of the Safe Modes
Help/advice needed so as I can recover data.

Edited by BSOD Victim, 29 December 2009 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Microsoft Support gives the most common reasons for this stop code as being
This error message can occur if either of the following conditions exists:

* Your computer has hardware or software problems (hardware failure is the most common cause).
* You try to over clock the speed of your computer's processor (for example, you set a 150 MhZ processor to run at 187 MhZ).

The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal. The most common causes of a STOP 0x7F are:

* Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
* Mismatched memory modules
* A malfunctioning motherboard

You don't say what you did as far as cleaning the system of the infection you had?
Will the system start in any mode into windows?
I don't place much confidence in internal Dell diagnostics programs so I would liek to run external diagnostics if you would like?
First of all the HD itself...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

BSOD Victim

BSOD Victim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

(i)Disc problem diagnosis. Thanks for the link.
Is there any quick way, other than opening up the desktop to identify the Hard disc manufacturer ?

(ii)System start into Windows.
No it won't start into Windows, in Safe Start -with Commandline it gets through about 30 lines then drops out to the Blue Screen Stop error.

(iii) Virus Cleaning.
Prior to implementing the manual registry changes I ran an update for McAfee then a full scan and quarantined a couple of items but there didn't appear to be anything serious at the time.
The PC started up OK a couple of times after this.

Thanks
Jon

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks for the quick response.

(i)Disc problem diagnosis. Thanks for the link.
Is there any quick way, other than opening up the desktop to identify the Hard disc manufacturer ?

Other then opening the system up and looking at the drive itself

(ii)System start into Windows.
No it won't start into Windows, in Safe Start -with Commandline it gets through about 30 lines then drops out to the Blue Screen Stop error.

Then we need to run a repair then or a parallel installation

(iii) Virus Cleaning.
Prior to implementing the manual registry changes I ran an update for McAfee then a full scan and quarantined a couple of items but there didn't appear to be anything serious at the time.
The PC started up OK a couple of times after this.

When we get the system back into windows then you need to run through the malware forum to make sure you are indeed healthy

Thanks
Jon

BSOD Victim

BSOD Victim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
I identified the drive as Western Digital, the link on tacktech site directs me to the correct place, but it appears that Western Digital have stopped supplying this info. Their website has the following message on it.

Important: As of 9/30/09, we no longer provide download support for Data LifeGuard Tools. However, we will leave Knowledge Base Articles supporting DLG Tools on our Support website. We are now making Acronis True Image WD Edition software available as the replacement for Data Lifeguard Tools. To download Acronis click here.

Is it worth attempting a parallel installation without this Hard disc check. Data recovery is more important than repair to me.

Cheers
Jon

Edited by BSOD Victim, 30 December 2009 - 07:50 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get the Seatools one as it will work on almost every drive out right now.