Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing a driver for my graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Karin_BN

Karin_BN

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I have recently reinstalled Windows XP Professional. I had a disk with many drivers for my hardware. I found the driver for my card there - ECS AG200T8-D64 - and I installed it, and all was well. After awhile I started having various problems - it became impossible to configure the screen to show more than 800x600 resolution, the internet started working slowly, links not opening, can't close windows etc. I've tried reinstalling the driver from the disk, from the ECS site, but no use. I still am stuck with resolution of 800x600.

Would be grateful for any help,
Karin.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Karin_BN and welcome to Geeks to Go.

What did you use to re-install XP?
Was it a original XP cd or a recovery CD?
You might be missing some other drivers.

Go to start...
Go to run...
Type in devmgmt.msc
Hit ok
Look for any yellow or red errors.
Let us know if you find any.

123runner

Karin_BN

Karin_BN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello 123Runner,
Sorry about taking so long to reply.

No, there never were any items in Device Manager with yellow icons or question marks. I installed a clean version of windows with SP3.

Now, after a friend came over and fixed a problem with my IE, it is suddenly working OK.

Don't know what to think of it.

Karin.

Karin_BN

Karin_BN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello again,

It seems the problem was related to my printer's software package - HP OfficeJet J5783 All-in-One. A service called "Net Driver HPZ12". After disabling it - and installing IE8 - my screen driver started working properly, and IE started working again.

However, now there is a new problem with my wireless USB LAN card (next wireless card I buy will will definitely be PCI), model: Edimax EW-7318Ug - if right click on the connection icon in the system tray and select repair, I always get the following message: "...The following action could not be completed: Disabling the wireless network adapter. Make sure your network adapter is probably installed". Initally my friend disabled the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service and configured the manufacturer's utility to manage the connection. Then I enabled it again and configured Wireless Zero Configuration Service to manage the connection. It didn't help. I tried reinstalling the driver for the card, but no use.

My question - how to solve this?
The connection seems to work OK, but it worries me that I cannot repair it if I need to.

Thank you very much for your time,
Karin.

Edit: When I right click on the icon and select just "Disable" I get the following message: "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by anther user or the system account".

I'm not sure what it means. I only have one user account on my computer, and I installed it regularly (from the disk I got with the card).

K.

Edited by Karin_BN, 21 February 2010 - 10:50 AM.