Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How long does the start set up take when you first buy a HP laptop?

• Please log in to reply

aManThatNeedsHelp

aManThatNeedsHelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've just bought a HP G61 110SA Laptop. It has Windows 7. After connecting all the wires, I pressed the on button...only to realise i forgot to put the battery in. So I turned off the laptop by holding onto the power button, put in the battery then turned it on again. I got a message saying "Your computer didn't turn off properly last time, do you want to start in save mode or normal mode". I pressed normal mode. The following loading screen with a message was then displayed:

"Set up is preparing your laptop for first use"

It's been saying that for the past 15 minutes. What's wrong? Did I f**k it up? Or is this normal? How do I fix it?

Please help me.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"first use" setup does take a while, and you should do that with the laptop plugged into the mains because the new battery may not have much charge in it if it's been packed for a few months, and you don't want it to run low and have the laptop shut itself off during setup.