Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD-ROM drive won't read but will write!

• Please log in to reply

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello <_<

I've been having a problem with my Toshiba SD-R5002 drive. About two months ago it was working fine then in the middle of playing "Jedi Knight" the game locked up and when I restarted the computer, the drive wouldn't work. I contacted Sony (the maker of my PC) and they were no help. I then contacted Toshiba and thought I had fixed the problem. This is the last thing he told me to do:

"You will need to go to the Device Manager and open the 'DVD\CD-ROM Drives' listing. You will Right click on the "SD-R5002 DVD-ROM Drive" and select 'Un-install' from the Drop Down Menu. Do this for all listed drives. Do not re-boot on this step

Next you will need to open the "IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers" listing. You will need to right click on the Bus Master IDE Controller and select 'Un-install' from the drop down menu. You will be prompted to re-boot, so do so. It will need to re-detect the devices and will take longer to boot. Once it finishes it will prompt for a second re-boot. After that finishes, try the drive again."

I did this and was delighted when it worked again! I didn't use the drive for a couple days and when I came back and attempted to, however, it wasn't working again. Over the past month I have come to realize that 1) My drive will still burn CDs just fine and 2) *sometimes* it will read a DVD/CD. I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason behind the random times it will play DVDs/CDs, so I can't really figure out what would be the problem?? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kristine

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
welcome to GTG
can you gave more info on your pc like make and model # I'm thinking that it may be a scsi drive but to be sure I need to look at the system on the sony site if it is a scsi you would need drivers for it to work right the drives windows installs do not always work right.
<_<

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
My PC is a Sony Vaio PCV RS220 <_< Thanks!

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
You have a recovery wizzard to fix your software errors if you look in your manuals that come with your pc there should be a step by step on how to do this I think your problems is that you need to fix your dvd player software .
<_<

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, I tried to find my manuals and couldn't. I'm not remembering very much documentation coming with my computer to begin with but I really could be wrong... I'm leaving for school tomorrow so I probably won't read any replies until next Tuesday or Wednesday, but I did happen to be digging around for some other way to do it and ran an "advanced system information -- error log" thing and since May 31, 2004 (which sounds about like when this started) there's *numerous* entries of "CDrom..... The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block." I have no idea what that means. I'm probably just going to end up taking it up to CompUSA when I get out there since I have a warrenty for another year <_< Thanks for trying!