Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programming languages help

• Please log in to reply

bobkins

bobkins

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello! im 11 but dont take me as a stupid person, I have learnt html and quite a bit of xml and now learning javascript i do programming on this software called scratch which is quite a bit of fun i think, but could you suggest and find ways i could learn to do programming languages and find tutorials and give links and downloads, some languages which i would like to learn would be vb, c++ or #, dr java, mabe a different kind of java language and python.
could you also explain these programming languages
i dont want to learn 2 things the same time but if you're able to give a variety that would be apreciated
thankyou :) :)

Edited by bobkins, 29 December 2009 - 02:50 PM.

Advertisements

coyne20

coyne20

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

hello! im 11 but dont take me as a stupid person, I have learnt html and quite a bit of xml and now learning javascript i do programming on this software called scratch which is quite a bit of fun i think, but could you suggest and find ways i could learn to do programming languages and find tutorials and give links and downloads, some languages which i would like to learn would be vb, c++ or #, dr java, mabe a different kind of java language and python.
could you also explain these programming languages
i dont want to learn 2 things the same time but if you're able to give a variety that would be apreciated
thankyou :) :)

The best way to start programming from my own experience is with C++ because when it comes to migrating to other languages like java or c# its alot more easier. If you can learn C++ inside out, it will put you one step ahead of everyone else. Its all good learning about how to code in C++ from a theoretical POV. However alot of books focus purely on theory. The Deitel & Deitel Publications (C++: how to program 6th edition) provides tonnes of examples and even better exercises for you to mess about with. You can use either bloodshed DEV cpp compiler or visual studios to help write your code.

In my opinion, Java is alot simpler in comparison to c++.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi bobkins,

I was going to respond with almost similar response as to what coyne20 has said. based on my personal experience C++ is definitely good and best way to start learning programming. It is alot simpler and offers very classical ideas which are still valid and make the base for any 'new generation' languages.
I actually used Turbo C plus plus (more commonly known as TC3) but you may use other advanced programs available. If you require a copy of the TC3 then drop me a PM with you email id. There are loads of books available in the market. If you after the whole logic behind TC then please have a look at http://www.sandroid.org/TurboC/ (TC is also available on this link)

one chap has some nice tutorial on C++ in OpenWatcom at http://cplus.about.c...orialprelim.htm

another link with short overview http://www.cplusplus...gram_structure/

one thing do not get disappointed with it as Cpp(C++) may appear as difficult but once you start learning it you actually get addicted to it.

any questions I am happy to help. after you have a bit of experience with C++ then you can go with .NET framework languages VB, C++, C# etc (which are more widely used now) or Java or other development tools and applications based on what you like and what you do not. it will all become alot easier to understand.

Regards,

Sheraz
Development Analyst
MCP(*2), MCTS(*2), MCITP(*2)
Msc Software Eng, BSc Computer Science (HONS)

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
hey i would like some help with programing also, i have decided that c++ would be better for me just by reading up on it. so how do i do this? i dont mean to sound stupid, but what are some good software to help me with making programs? i think you already said one, but is there better ones? and thanks for the links for info, im going to check those out when i get home.

bobkins, good luck and if your programs turn out right, i can put them on my site if you want me to. www.kitkin15.tk i am going to make programs and put them on there also, if anyone wants me to put programs up than please tell me.

(my site does not look the best right now, but im working on that.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Kitkin15, practically I have seen majority of the people trying to understand C++ (Code) and not the programming (Logic). If you learn just C++ and not the actual programming concepts that would mean that you might be able to develop something in C++ but it will be difficult for you to move to another environment (or programming Language.)
Okay, Let me make it easy. If you want to learn programming and would like to start with C++, you mainly need to focus at understanding the concepts because then you can apply the same concepts in any other language.

as far as writing the program is concerned, I would recommend that you buy a small book on C++ (I can recommend one if you would like me to) then install an environment on your PC(TC as i mentioned above is quite good for the learning, can provide you with a copy if you drop me a PM with your email id. or you can look on Google to find any other complier environment for C++ which you like – also see notes below if you want to try one of these below). It does not matter what environment you use as the code will be same with very small variations.
Notes:
• David is explaining on how you could install Borland C at http://cplus.about.c.../tcsharpins.htm
• Use and installation of TC1.0 has been explained here … http://edn.embarcade...m/article/21751
• TC 3.0 is available from here
http://www.top4downl...-/aklqwuba.html

Note that you just need one of these. The links I have provided are in no way affiliated with me directly or indirectly and nor the content writers. The information above by me has been provided as to support and inspire others to learn and has been provided without any guarantee.

any questions feel free to drop a line.

Regards,

Sheraz
Development Analyst

bobkins

bobkins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thankyou, my dad was gonna learn some programming languages so he bought some books but in the end he didnt need to learn them to get the job so i will take a look at them as well.

Edited by bobkins, 07 January 2010 - 07:33 AM.

bobkins

bobkins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
is c++ the same as visual c++??

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, now you said no one wants to learn the logic, and THANK YOU!!! thats exactly what i need to learn before i get started, i just didnt know how to put it so other people can understand lol. so what books do you recamend? im going to PM you and give you my e-mail. so oyu can send me whatever you can.

i would really like to learn how to program, computers are the future and i want in on it =)

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

ok, now you said no one wants to learn the logic, and THANK YOU!!! thats exactly what i need to learn before i get started, i just didnt know how to put it so other people can understand lol. so what books do you recamend? im going to PM you and give you my e-mail. so oyu can send me whatever you can.

i would really like to learn how to program, computers are the future and i want in on it =)

I have sent you an email with TC and how to start with ....

have a look at the following website.

http://www.functionx.com/cpp/index.htm

any probs shout...

Regards,

Sheraz
Development Analyst

Edited by mgr_classmates, 07 January 2010 - 04:00 PM.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

is c++ the same as visual c++??

C++ and VC++ are same - you can use same classes and everything, the only difference is VC++ allows you to make program for windows based machines. C++ does for DOS console only.

(I personally have no exposure to VC++ as databases are my main expertise now.)

Regards,

Sheraz
Development Analyst

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
hey did you make that program you sent me? its really cool.

with the program you had me make i had 2 errors, and a warning, did i mess up? or is that just how it is?

(and do i have your permission to put that program on my website?)

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

hey did you make that program you sent me? its really cool.

with the program you had me make i had 2 errors, and a warning, did i mess up? or is that just how it is?

(and do i have your permission to put that program on my website?)

Post the error please?

This is the first program anyone would write in C++. also as I mentioned in my previous message look at http://www.functionx.com/cpp/index.htm for more examples and stuff.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, im on a friends computer, and im having internet probloms at home, so ill do it asap =)

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you are both set on starting to learning C/C++ as your first programming language I can suggest heading on over to www.cplusplus.com

I frequent at the forums there and will be more then happy to answer your questions.

However I would advise against it, my recommendations would be either Pascal or Python. Both languages are quicker and easier to learn the C++ and will teach you the concepts behind programming. Pascal doesn't support OOP but when you get to that there is always Delphi (pascals successor). The reason I'd suggest pascal is that it was actually designed as a language to teach programming.

I would also suggest an easier ide then Turbo C++ if you are starting out. Dev-C++ is an excellent free version and really requires very little configuration.

You could also go for Microsoft Visual C++ Express edition, I'm quite sure its also free if you have a valid copy of windows.