Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Repair keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please, Help!
My computer started out with a virus: Internet Security 2010 was installed from a user clicking a bad link.
I found manual instructions on how to get rid of it and followed them, but upon restarting the computer, it went into the logon screen, flashed the desktop for a second and immediately logged the user back out. It did this for all accounts and all safe modes.
I tried the solution of copying the userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe file in the recovery mode, but it didn't help. I then copied the userinit.exe file from the cd to the windows/system32 folder overwriting the original, again no luck.
So...I tried to do the repair install from the cd. HOWEVER, it keeps restarting the computer during the process and starting all over again.
The computer seems to boot up fine, it goes into the installing settings screen saying that it's installing devices. It starts with about 39 minutes on the clock and when it gets to 34 minutes, about three quarters of the green bar has been filled, it flashes to a black screen, comes back for a minute, and then goes back to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left hand corner. It stays on that screen for about a minute, and then the computer will restart. It keeps doing this over and over again.
I have files on the computer that I don't have anywhere else, and I really just need to get those copied (I have an external hard drive to copy them to, but the virus hit me first)
Can anyone help me, please! :)

Edited by Innermurk, 29 December 2009 - 04:37 PM.