Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Logs In Then Immediately Logs Off

• Please log in to reply

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
System (optional): I'm trying to help a friend that's got a trojan virus on his computer. It boots up to the Welcome screen and when it goes to log in, it logs right back out again. I've tried booting up in Safe Mode and whether I choose Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Prompt or Reset to last good configuration, I end back at the Welcome screen. I've been trying to boot up with the winxp Installation disk, but haven't had any luck. Any ideas on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've been trying to boot up with the winxp Installation disk, but haven't had any luck

Did you change the boot sequence in the bios so cdrom is forst boot device?

Second of all the virus may have wiped out the usernit.exe file and that is why it won't log in for you.
Try this and let us know if it helps. I would suggest as soon as you egt it back into windows you take a trip to the malware forum. I will send the instructions for that as soon as you are back into windows.

Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When prompted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result 

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have tried changing the boot order. When I'm at the Boot Menu my options are:

2: Legacy Floppy Drives
3: ATAPI CD0:HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4
5: IDE HDD0: HTS541060G9AT00-(PM)
6: PCI LAN: IBA 4.1.07 Slot 0240

I've selected #'s 3, 5 and 6 and each time it boots right into the Welcome Screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not talking about boot menu I'm talking about going into the bios and changing the boot sequence so that cdrom is 1st and hard drive is 2nd.
To get into the bios you normally click Del on the first black screen.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I can get to the BIOS Setup Utility screen by pressing the F1 key. When I pressed the delete key the computer holds at the startup splash screen until I let it go. At the BIOS Setup Utility screen I have:

Config
Date/Time
Security
Startup
Restart

Under Startup, there's Boot and Network and under Boot there's Boot priority order and my selections are:

1: USB FDD
2: Legacy Floppy Drives
3: ATAPI CD0:HL0DT-SL DVDRAM GSA-4080N
4: USB CD
6: PCI LAN: IBA 4.1.07 Slot 0240
7: -USB HDD
8: IDE HDD1

Excluded from boot order:
IDE HDD2
ATAPI CD1

Can you tell me which selection I should be choosing. Thanks for your patience, I'm a Mac guy and helping a friend who knows nothing about computers.

Peter

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to change it so that it goes as followed:
3: ATAPI CD0:HL0DT-SL DVDRAM GSA-4080N

Also i see at the bottom of your list you have this
Excluded from boot order:
IDE HDD2
ATAPI CD1

The cd rom needs to be taken out of that as that maybe what is causing the system not to boot to it

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
At what point do I put the CD back in? When I change the order and save changes the computer starts booting up, right to the Welcome Screen.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put the disk in before you enter the setup area. that way it is in when you are finished changing everything.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did that and made sure the boot order was as you suggested, hit F1 and the computer booted right to the Welcome Screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are going to have a problem since it won't even boot to a genuine XP disk then there is no way to fix it. You may have to take the drive out and slave it to another known working system where you can backup your data files.
Then we can work on the booting problem.
The other option is to take the battery out of the motherboard for the bios and after about 5 minutes put it back in. This may cause the bios to go back to factory default where the cdrom can now boot.
I would suggest doing the battery first to see if it will work. It won't hurt anything if it doesn't work.

Advertisements

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've taken out the battery and will put it back in the 5 minutes and see what happens.

Thanks for your help so far.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
When you were in the bios, did you save your choice and then exit?

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did, using the F10 key, I'm trying to figure out how to open up the laptop to remove the motherboard battery.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ahh this is a laptop. Sorry i missed that part. the battery issue will not be the same then.
This creates another problem as now it has to be done through the bios. Something is not saving the settings as the system should boot straight to the cdrom
Now that i know this is a laptop are you sure the xp disk you have is a full version genuine microsoft disk or is it a recovery disk?
Could it be a upgrade disk?

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It is the Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003. And I assume is the original install disk that came with the laptop.