Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Logs In Then Immediately Logs Off

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Documents are fine but Outlook you will need to do the following.

If you want to save your Outlook's address's and Messages then go HERE and follow the steps.

If Email does not open or says not default mail handler then go HERE

Advertisements

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I think I've made things much worse. I connected a USB terabyte drive and installed Windows XP onto it. The C drive didn't have enough room to do this. Now the computer boots up into a blue screen saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this the first time (its not, its happened the last 3 times I rebooted) you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

It goes on and ends with

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A26528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

At this point the computer is not booting up, is there anyway to network it or extract the My Documents folder?

Thanks!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why would you load a OS to a USB external drive? Systems are not meant to boot that way.
I thought you were going to backup documents and outlook to the tb drive?
You can do a Linux Live Cd to try and get the data off your system if you want to try.

Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I couldn't get the laptop to boot up in anything but the Rescue and Recovery mode. From here everything required the laptop to reboot, which took me right back to Rescue and Recovery.

I was hoping like a Mac I could reinstall the operating system without losing the files on the computer. And since there wasn't enough room to reinstall it on the C drive, I went with the external USB drive.

Can the LinusLiveCD be created from a computer other than the one infected? I'm on a Mac, but do have Windows running on it using Fusion.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
i believe it should be able to create the disk for you.
The linux live will boot into memory and therefor the hd is not being used. If you can access the drive thru the Linux disk then the drive is working. Get your data backed up and then we'll worry about the rest. I want to make sure your data is safe first and foremost.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The problem now is the computer boots right to the Startup Interrupt Menu and no mater which of the three selections I choose

ESC to resume normal startup
F1 to enter the IMB BIOS Setup Utility
F12 to choose a temporary startup device

I end up at a black screen that says:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did create a CD with the LinusLIve files on it and have it in the D drive on the laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok it sounds like it is not booting to the cdrom first.
There seems to be more wrong then what originally was thought.
If the boot sequence is setup correctly to boot to the cdrom first you should never see these messages. If the cdrom is not working correctly it would answer for the problem.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The boot order I have is ATAPI CD0 first and IDE HDD0 second

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you use the burncdcc program to burn the iso or did you burn the disk as a data disk?
If the latter it will not boot.

Advertisements

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I do see the laptop on both my Mac and when I log into Windows XP on the Mac/Fusion/Windows XP hard drive. Is there any way to access the drive?

When I've tried I can only get to my SharedDocs folder and not the one on the laptop. But the laptop does show up in the Network.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've got the puppy disk created using the BurnCDCC and its running on the laptop as I type. I assume it will prompt me to do something when its completed its task.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This is what you need.
Puppy should be running in memory from the cd and not installed on the laptop.

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

[attachment=37416:Pmount_f...py_Linux.png]

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, I've booted off the puppy CD and am now copying the My Documents folder over to a USB flash drive. Is there any chance I can open Outlook and save the Contacts out to a .vcf file?

And thank you very much for all the help I've received the past two days and especially the patience.

Peter

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can save it the way the instructions say it will be easier to import. If you know how to do the vcf file then go for it. I don't know if it is possible to do though.