Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Logs In Then Immediately Logs Off

• Please log in to reply

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Do you know if there is a way to access a SharedDocs folder on the laptop. That way I can network to the laptop versus coping the files over on multiple flash drives.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How can you network if the laptop will not bootup? It has to be active to be able to get to the network.
I'm not sure what you are backing up or how large of capacity your flash drive is but if the cdrom works through Puppy I would suggest backing up to a cd or dvd disk.

PeterMedford

PeterMedford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks, I'll use a DVD, the USB flash drive I have is 4GB's but the DVD will be over 7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as it's a dual layer dvd yes and the drive is a dual layer drive. You should be able to get plenty of files on there. :)

Gabe Santa Cruz

Gabe Santa Cruz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been following the directions posted above pretty diligently as I've run into the same issue on my laptop. I was able to create download the files and create the boot CD. I can also start up the infected PC, but only if I use the "acpi=off" switch.

I have a hardware raid on my laptop and for some reason, the linux OS only recognizes one of the physical drives and cannot see the raid which is defined at the BIOS level. Do I have any options for getting at my local drives following this approach?

Thanks in advance,

Gabe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Direct to: Gabe Santa Cruz

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

logan_nguyen

logan_nguyen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I think I've made things much worse. I connected a USB terabyte drive and installed Windows XP onto it. The C drive didn't have enough room to do this. Now the computer boots up into a blue screen saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this the first time (its not, its happened the last 3 times I rebooted) you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

It goes on and ends with

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A26528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

At this point the computer is not booting up, is there anyway to network it or extract the My Documents folder?

Thanks!!

I have the same situation as PeterMedford but my laptop is an EEE of Asus and it does not have any CD drive . All i can do is relying on another laptop and an USB to reboot it . So do you have any advice for me ?
Thanks a lot

GiorgosH

GiorgosH

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Try what was posted in post 2 first.

Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When prompted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

I did try your commands too, copy of file was succesful, however i can still not login cause my PC keeps logging off.. ;( Any other suggestions maybe?