Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a Trojan hide inside a modem/router?

• Please log in to reply

MPT

MPT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Happy New Year, all! Could someone please make mine happy too?..

I was attacked by a couple trojans (Bloodhound.PDF.18, Trojan.FakeAlert, and a weird pest Hijack.StartMenu - are these bad??), but after two days of battling I think they're dead now (would appreciate anyone having a glance, though). Right now I have a brand new lappy, shiny, tweaked, partitioned, and cleaned from crapware ( =days of hard work).

If I completely shut down the old (previously infected) laptop and don't connect it to the internet, and instead connect the new lappy to the same dsl modem/router combo - is it possible that the trojans are hiding inside the modem/router box and will infect the new lappy?

Is it possible that a/the hacker can now walk through anything that's connected to my modem/router?

Would it help to reset router username/pass?

I need internet access to update Windows & AV on the new lappy, but am terrified of connecting it...

Thank you!

Advertisements