Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running really slow after accident

• Please log in to reply

deano0440

deano0440

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The other day I had a moment of insanity/stupidity and slammed my laptop's keyboard with an open hand. It immediately started making a screeching noise and so I held the power button down until the computer shut off. I waited a few minutes and tried to restart the computer and it took a really long time to boot up. Now the internet is super slow and unresponsive, it still takes forever to start the computer and playing music through itunes is choppy. I've started to get an error message when using the internet. It says - Warning: Unresponsive Script. A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Then it asks me if I want to Stop Script, or continue. I was not getting this message before the accident. I tried a system restore but it failed both times I tried, saying it was unable to complete the restore. Can you help?

Thanks!

Dean

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello dean0440.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,
You may have damaged something internally but we will check the system as best as we can.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

deano0440

deano0440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello-

I started to perform the procedure you recommended. However last night the power went out at my house and the computer's battery died while the computer was still running the chkdsk /r scan... I woke up this morning and turned the computer back on (after the power was restored at my house) and it appeared to continue doing what it was previously doing. The one thing that looked somewhat alarming, some of the first things that showed up upon restarting this morning were lines that read "file record segment 18151 is unreadable". It repeated this message with different numbers multiple times. Do you have any idea if permanent damage was done, or what these "unreadable" messages mean? Thanks so much for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is referencing files on your hard drive. this could very well be part of the problem. Hopefully the chkdsk will fix these. If chkdsk find and repairs problems then you will need to rerun it till it does not find any problems.
After that we will run some other tests.

deano0440

deano0440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So no damage was done due to the power outage last night?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't believe so but the chkdsk will show if there is any with the drive. We can also run hard drive diagnostic later to check for any physical damage to the platter itself.

deano0440

deano0440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello -

It took a few days, but the testing finally finished. However, my computer is still painfully slow :) What other tests can I run? Thanks so much for your help and happy new year!

-Dean

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

deano0440

deano0440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have an HP and it's a little unclear which option I should choose...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Chose the SeaTool or the Seagate
It is the same program and will usually work for most hard drives.
Make sure you get the Dos cdrom ISO version and then burn the cd according to the instructions I gave. Failure to do so will result in a non bootable disk. You will probably have to change the boot sequence in bios to make the cdrom first. If you need the instruction to do this let me know and I will reply with it.

deano0440

deano0440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I still haven't had the chance to do the last thing you posted. But the other day my computer did something that I thought I should tell you about before proceeding. The screen went blue and this long message came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: OxOOOOOO7A (OxCO7C8590, OxCOOOOOOE, OxF90B2117, Ox07D3886O)

*** ftdisk.sys - Address F9OB2117 base at F9OA5OOO DateStamp 3b7d8419

Beginning dump of physical memory
Dumping physical memory to disk: 36

- The "dumping physical memory to disk" number kept rising before the computer eventually shut off.
Is it still ok to proceed with the instructions from your last post?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The following is what some researxhing turned up in each error:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.

OxOOOOOO7A
This error is often the virtual memory data can not be read into memory making. Reason may be the virtual memory paging file exists in the bad cluster, viruses, disk controller error, memory problems.
Possible causes are memory, corrupted OS or a infection

ftdisk.sys
check RAM, hard drive and IDE/SATA cable, virus scan and IS system

The thing that is the same in all...
Memory and Corrupted OS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.