Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the difference between SATA and IDE?

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,This will probably seem like a dumb question to you guys,but I was looking at an other topic on the forum from a few years back about using an old 40gb laptop HD on a desktop pc and I was considering doing the same.I was first considering putting it inside my PC and was told to get an ide to sata converter.but on the other topic it talks about a 2.5"hd usb caddy enclosure.Would it be possible to use it in a similar way to a usb flash drive using that method,(like having an external plug and play hd)?I was also wondering what is the difference between ide and sata,is it just something to do with different types of connecters?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Quick and painless answer.
Top is a IDE connector and bottom is SATA.
Sata has a much faster transfer rate then IDE.
SATA also has larger capacity hard drives now up to 2 TB in capacity.
The use of a external enclosure would work as long as the internal connector is right for the HD and the link to system is USB or Esata depending on what you have on your syste, Personally I would do USB as it seems to be mostly on every system now.

[attachment=37406:sata_ide_lg.jpg]

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A lot will depend on the connectivity of the drive in question.

If it is a ide drive AND you have a ide port in the computer, you would need a conversion cable.
If it is a ide drive and you have no ide ports, you would still need a conversion cable.

The best scenario is a 2.5 inch external case with a USB connection.
You can then use it as a backup and move it to other computers.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
:) thanks guys.The HD I have is a Fujitsu MHT2040ah pl.I am unsure which type of connecter it is though.However,I am definitely going with the usb caddy though!cheers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I'm glad we could help. Come back if you have any other questions or just look around and enjoy the wealth of information in the forums. :) :) :)